How far in advance can buttercream frosting be made?

I'm going on vacation and want to make a cake while I'm there. I'm not sure what the kitchen will be like, so I'm thinking the best option is to make the cake and the icing ahead of time and then assemble once I'm there. Can I make it 2 days ahead?

asked by Meatballs&Milkshakes about 3 years ago

Sure, I think two days is fine. Are you making a room-temperature stable buttercream? That will obviously make things easier.

I'm guessing you're making a Swiss meringue buttercream. You can certainly make it ahead by a couple of days, but you'll need to keep it refrigerated at least with cooler blocks. Then re-whip it on-site to aerate it. Have a wonderful vacation!

Photo-1

Thanks!! Looking forward to it!

What makes it room-temperature stable?

I'm making my favorite chocolate cake, Ina Garten's Beatty's Chocolate Cake (http://www.foodnetwork...). I'm contemplating not adding the egg yolk to the icing though, since I will keep the icing on freezer packs for the trip.

Merrill

So sorry for the spam, everyone! We're working hard to resolve this.