🔎

Making a simple syrup, how long can it be stored for and what is the best type of container to store it in??

Junechamp

I almost always prefer to store things in glass containers rather than plastic, especially for extended periods, so I'd advise a glass jar.

Simple syrup is basically sugar and water. It should keep indefinitely in a covered container in the fridge.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 2 years ago

Hmmm...as the name says, it's very simple to make, so why store it at all? Just make what you need when you need it--just one to one on the sugar to water. If you want to make extra and store it, I would store it as long as I would store, say, Kool-Aid, or lemonade.

If you add the juice of half a lemon, you'll extend the shelf life. You can probably hold it for a couple of weeks.

Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added over 2 years ago

I try not to keep mine for more than two weeks. Even in a closed, glass container simple syrup starts to take on smells and other funky tastes.

Chris_in_oslo

This same question got a lot of attention not too long ago. Check out
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

OaklandEater added over 2 years ago

Simple sugar is not worth storing. It's one to one water and sugar. By the time the water is boiling, the sugar is essentially melted so just make was you want and use any leftover for anything lying around. Throw it in orange juice or a jar of jam or on a salad or in a recipe for something that calls for liquid. Also, if you don't make quite enough, just add a little more water. Who's going to know?

Wine
the professor added over 2 years ago

i recently made a batched infused with a bunch of mint (mint juleps, anyone?), and used a leftover plastic bottle (which had previously held poland springs water). kept for two weeks, and i only threw it out b/c the mint was browning. this is the budget option if you don't have glass jars hanging around!

Wine
the professor added over 2 years ago

Wine
the professor added over 2 years ago