🔎

• 11

• 5214

I opened a pkg of raw organic ckn and it had a funny smell. The sell by date isn't for 4 more days, but is it still safe to eat?

Alexandracale
3-bizcard

I would err on the side of caution and not use it. Take it back to the store. I am very cautious especially with chicken.

amysarah added over 2 years ago

Yes, absolutely take it back. Funny smelling poultry is not to be messed with.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 2 years ago

I have to agree with the other comments; why take a chance? Usually if it smells bad, it is bad.

Image

Trust your nose!! You have no idea how it was stored when it was transported. Food poisoning is horrible!

I'll join the symphony here. But did it smell funny like the Marx Brothers or bad like funky? I've had the same experience with imported lamb from NZ (why do we do that anyway?), I wouldn't touch it or let it touch anything else in the kitchen.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I agree with the others. But I'd first give it a rinse under cold water, and pat dry, then smell again, as store-bought raw chicken always smells funky to me.

Junechamp

I would also take it back. That it is organic is no guarantee that hygienic practices were followed, or that it wasn't left out of refrigeration for a time.

Debbykalk-photo
latoscana added over 2 years ago

Bacteria are organic, so the organic label is no guarantee of safety.

Chris_in_oslo

I often feel that chicken, especially when it's been packaged in plastic, smells off. After a couple of returns and some arguments/discussions with butchers and meat counter employees, I'm no longer so quick to reject it. Now, I try two methods, either let it sit out for a bit, or give it a rinse (I don't ordinarily rinse my poultry). Usually, the odor disappears. Not too scientific, but if I rejected every chicken I thought was bad, I'd have to grow my own.

I vote with the majority here. Organically raised is one thing. Bulk processed god knows where and how are entirely another. Return it. And yes, pierino, why the hell do we import lamb from N of all places Z?

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

If your nose doesn't like it your belly won't either.