thickened heavy cream (old)?

I let some heavy cream sit too long in the fridge, now it's much thicker, almost solid. Does this equal something like sour cream? Can I make something with this?

asked by Raquelita about 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

It might have a little tang like creme fraiche but in my experience, it mostly acts like heavy cream. As long as it doesn't taste like it has turned, it's totally fine to use!

I discovered one of those in my fridge just last evening. Since I'd bought another - hence the neglect of the forgotten first one - I decided to turn it into creme fraiche. But do give it the taste test and decide from there.

Flower-bee

In my opinion, if it has thickened some kind of culture multiplication has been initiated. Trust your taste and nose since it was an unobserved and uncontrolled process in this case. You might have an ok product in the sour cream family. You could use it in something baked instead of as is.
It happened to me once in a crammed fridge but I discarded it because it was just a little bit. I have been wondering since what effect does the closed container environment have on the culturing process, if Amanda or Boulangere happen to know.

Sushi

Be Carful!!!

It's better to not use creams when it's old : creme fraƮche , sour cream or liquid cream. Those products should be consumed within 3 days after the opening of the pot, and always having been tasted.

Otherwise you risque a food poisoning by Staphylococcus aureus or listeriosis.