A question about a recipe: Flank Steak on Texas Toast with Chimichurri

Food52_07-25-11-220

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Flank Steak on Texas Toast with Chimichurri" from sdebrango. It says:

"When steak has rested, slice thinly, cutting across the grain. To put your sandwich together, spread the chimichurri mayonnaise on each side of bread, lay meat on bread, then add the tomato, put the other slice of bread on top and enjoy."

Is "cutting across the grain" as stated the same as cutting against the grain? I always cut against the grain on the diagonal for flank to ensure a tender bite. I plan on making this tonight and just want to make sure how it should be done. Thank you!

asked by sexyLAMBCHOPx about 3 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

Yes, The opposite would be cutting "with" or "along" the grain.

3-bizcard

Thank you Greenstuff! Yes thats absolutely correct.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

okay, I'll slice across the grain. I was told NEVER to do it, but I will. Thanks ladies. Why is this slicing technique differnt from other flank steaks that state cut against vs. across? Curious...

Chris_in_oslo

Woah, let's make it really clear. We told you to do what you always do, not something you would have been told not to do!

With a flank steak, you want to cut across the grain to cut the tough fibers. across=against and with=along

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

LOL! Sorry! Greenstuff thanks! Guess, I need a cup of coffee!