THE FOOD52 COMMUNITY IS NOW 1 MILLION STRONG! READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

Is there any way to get all the sand out of sea scallops? Just rinsing doesn't do the trick when they're really gritty.

asked by Stash almost 5 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Usually, a cold water rinse is enough. Is there a lot of clay or silt in your sand that is sticking to them? My grandfather used to keep them (live) in clean seawater for a few hours, and that might do the trick for you. Don't crowd them, and do NOT soak them in freshwater, as that will do them in.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

My partner is a scallop hater because of this issue (unless we're near the coast) eating out at a good place.

We don't get live scallops here, and even large diver scallops at Whole Foods have had some gritty surprises seemingly buried deep inside that a surface inspection just won't reveal.
I just chalk it up to 'well, that's scallops shipped in for ya'..while he goes 'aaaccck, gritty scallop!"
So, if anyone else here can suggest a way to remove that, (from scallops out of their shell) I'd be interested too.

Oh, I was so worried that this problem was for scallops that were already out of the shell! Goodness, I've never had that one! I think I'd still try a salt water bath. Salt water can be good at dislodging grit.