🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Is there any way to get all the sand out of sea scallops? Just rinsing doesn't do the trick when they're really gritty.

asked by Stash about 3 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

Usually, a cold water rinse is enough. Is there a lot of clay or silt in your sand that is sticking to them? My grandfather used to keep them (live) in clean seawater for a few hours, and that might do the trick for you. Don't crowd them, and do NOT soak them in freshwater, as that will do them in.

My partner is a scallop hater because of this issue (unless we're near the coast) eating out at a good place.

We don't get live scallops here, and even large diver scallops at Whole Foods have had some gritty surprises seemingly buried deep inside that a surface inspection just won't reveal.
I just chalk it up to 'well, that's scallops shipped in for ya'..while he goes 'aaaccck, gritty scallop!"
So, if anyone else here can suggest a way to remove that, (from scallops out of their shell) I'd be interested too.

Chris_in_oslo

Oh, I was so worried that this problem was for scallops that were already out of the shell! Goodness, I've never had that one! I think I'd still try a salt water bath. Salt water can be good at dislodging grit.