🔎

• 2

• 1162

How do you make a beet burger?

Wholefoods_user_icon
Merrill

Here's a recipe to try: http://www.thekitchn.com...

65427_10150138639344899_690959898_8052827_8061015_n
Erica the Ninja added over 2 years ago

OOOH...I have an awesome one, adapted from Lucid Food. This will be a loose recipe, so be sure to be aware of what you are doing and adjust if it doesn't seem right.

I usually use equal parts cooked brown rice and shredded beet (and sometimes a mixture of half beet, half carrot). Maybe 1 or 2 cups of each? Throw ~3/4 of each in a food processor along with ~1/2 to 1 cup of bread crumbs, a few chipotle peppers (in adobo), some sauteed onions, and a few splashes of soy sauce (weird, I know, but it adds a certain depth of flavor without being in the foreground). This is where I would taste the mixture and adjust anything because after it all tastes cohesive and yummy, blend in 1-2 raw eggs (to help the burgers keep their shape). By hand, mix in the remaining rice and grated beet. You can fry these in a pan or bake them. What happens with the crust is magical...the sugars in the beet (and carrot) get all caramelized and delicious. These might be a bit delicate depending on the precise ratio of ingredients, but that has NEVER stopped me from devouring them. Serve with some lime wedges and cilantro.