🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

0fd42e61 84ca 4010 949c d9633b9f0715  md qkywxorbhdiml4ku5nw2mhd702 yp 5 n51owsxu

I have a question about the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter" from Genius Recipes. I doubled the recipe and am using ripe local heirlooms.....my sauce is very watery. It's been simmering for about 45 minutes. Keep simmering to thicken it up? uncovered?

BTW---what does it mean when it says---" the fat floats free from the tomato"? Thanks for any input---my kitchen smells delish! :)

asked by bamcnamara almost 5 years ago

Yes, keep simmering. There's no way to accurately state in a recipe like this how long to simmer. You just keep going until the sauce attains the thickness you desire. Some tomatoes are definitely more watery than others.

It's SO worth the effort. The sauce is DEEE-vine.

oops! definitely uncovered.

And I don't know about that "fat floating free" part. Mine didn't. It just incorporated itself into the sauce.