🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Banana Pudding

Banana_pudding

I have a question about the ingredient "Nilla wafers (please, no substitutes here!)" on the recipe "Banana Pudding" from merrill.

hi, no nilla wafers here in the uk, what would be similar? Maybe sponge fingers/ladyfingers/custard creams/ shortbread? or could i make them?
thanks in advance

asked by TammyE over 3 years ago
3-bizcard

A nilla wafer is a thin crisp vanilla flavored cookie, small and round, Kind of distinct but you might substitute a classic tea biscuit. McVities makes a crunchy tea biscuit. I think the biscuits you mentioned are not crisp and dense enough for the recipe. Maybe Merrill will weigh in on her recommendation.

Family_feb2012_-_version_2

I agree with sdebrango. You will be disappointed with the soft spongey biscuits. I think you can find Maria biscuits in the UK. They are thin, crispy and vanilla flavored, bigger than nilla wafers, but you can break them up.

Merrill

As both of the wise commenters above noted, you need something crisper and more dense than sponge or ladyfingers, and shortbread is probably too dense. I think the texture of Rich Tea Biscuits might be the best fit.