I'm going to a gluten-free bridal shower this Saturday. I have been asked to bring an appetizer or maybe dessert. Any suggestions?

Already being brought: cheese, tortillas and salsa, veggies and dip, fruit and fruit sherberts. There will be 30ish people there. Maybe bacon wrapped dates?? It's 45 minutes away so room temperature would be best and something that travels easily.

asked by Dabblings about 4 years ago

I'd highly recommend these GF breakfast cakes for a dessert item. :)

Food 52 recently ran a gluten-free recipe contest. Just type in "gluten free" in the search for an embarrassment of choices. For appetizer, chevre devils are the bomb - plus super easy.

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

The gluten free blondies would also be a delicious and highly transportable dessert.
For an appetizer, bacon wrapped dates sound delicious, or you could make Gingerroot's chevre devils which are totally delicious. Or, it's been mentioned several times before in other questions, but caprese skewers are great. Just skewer a cherry tomato and a little ball of fresh mozzarella on a tooth pick with a basil leaf between them. Drizzle with good balsamic once you arrive at the party and set them out.

how about some kind of berry crisp made with oats (generally considered GF) and GF flour? Slice and mix berries with 1/4 cup of sugar and spread in bottom of large glass pan. Mix about 1 cup of oats and 1 cup of flour together with one cup of brown sugar. Cut in butter and mix until crumbly. Spread mixture over berries and bake at 350 for one hour. Add nuts, too!

If you make an appetizer with oats, make sure you purchase a brand that is certified gluten-free. Oats are sometimes processed in facilities that also process wheat, therefore contaminating the oats. Bob's Red Mill has certified gluten-free oats,and gluten-free flours and baking mixes.

Those chevre devils look really good. Plus I don't have to buy any special gluten-free ingredients which was something I was hoping to avoid. I'll probably end up making those. Thanks :)

Faced with your dilemma, I would probably make a peach or berry crumble using gluten-free oats in the topping.

I took this to my friend's bridal shower a few weeks ago and it was a huge hit:
Serve it with some Nut Thin crackers or other gluten-free cracker. Or, just use corn tortilla chips.

I've also made the Chevre Devils mentioned above for a party and they disappeared amidst much smacking of fingers by gluten-free, vegetarian, and picky eaters alike.

Other suggestions:

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

Totally agree with fiveandspice! I made the GF Blondies for my friend's bridal shower and they were devoured by everyone there. They're super easy to make, basically 1 bowl- just be careful because they're sticky so grease and line your pan well.

One thing to add: as the person who's gluten free at these functions, i'm always okay forgoing desserts, i expect that, but it's heartbreaking when people don't make appetizers and real food that I can eat. Appetizers always seem to be stuck on top of bread! corn tortilla quesadillas are quick and easy, as are polenta rounds topped with your favorite veggies and/or meat!

I made the beet chips recipe mentioned several weeks ago on the site (it's on the Epicurious web site), served with the spiced yogurt from this site's Mujadarra recipe for a guest with a gluten allergy. I found another guest in the kitchen, searching for more after the first bowl was inhaled. The key to the chips - my 1mm slicing blade on the CuisinArt.

Syronai's raspberry brownies are the best, and suitable for people who want to indulge tastefully. I just made them for a 4 day family gathering (a repeat, always loved); I also made -- simple, old-fashioned and tasty.
So many good appetizer suggestions too!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went with the chevre devils for the shower but I'm going to put together a binder with a bunch of the gluten free recipes for her gift :)