A question about a recipe: Cochinita Pibil

009

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Cochinita Pibil" from aargersi. It says:

"...Marinate the pork shoulder with the achiote, orange juice, cumin and half the garlic - this should marinate for 2-3 hours."

Is there any reason I couldn't marinate the shoulder overnight? I'm trying to fit this into an odd work schedule/dinner window. Would the annatto flavor be too pronounced, and if so, would part B of my grand scheme (slow cooker) mitigate that?

asked by Anne S almost 3 years ago
With_ab

Interesting fact I learned from good ole Alton Brown: acid actually VERY SLOWLY cooks meat, which is why marinades sometimes will tell you not to leave them in too long. Alton seemed to think that 8 hours was ok, so overnight might work, just be sure to take it out as soon as you wake up and accept that it might be just slightly tougher than you originally wanted

036

Hi Anne! I think you could skip the marinade alltogether if it's going in a crockpot all day - I would brown the shoulder, cut it up enough to fit in the crock pot, dump the rest of the stuff in, give it a stir and go to work. It will be fine that night.

As an aside - if you make the onions 2-3 days in advance and cut the beets up a bit you get pickled beets too!!!!

Stringio

Thanks very much! Seems like it might be wise to not pre-"cook" it via marinade then, and just heave it all in the crockpot. And I love all sorts of pickles--looking forward to it!!!