🔔
🔎

I made Kim Boyce's olive oil cake with rosemary and chocolate recently and we loved the cake but did not like the rosemary in the cake. I

would like to make the cake again without the rosemary. Any suggestions? The cake is an olive oil cake with spelt flour and chopped chocolate.

asked by Stephanie G over 3 years ago

What I meant to say is, do you have suggestions to replace the rosemary?

Face_hat_underpainting_1

More traditional flavor combo, but how about orange zest?

Buddhacat

Basil would be great or cayenne or dried red peppers. Also lemon zest or lavender.

Oh! I'm so torn...so many good suggestions. I love the lemon or orange but I am very attracted to the red peppers too...

Buddhacat

Try all three, and have a taste-test with friends!

I'm curious if you thought the rosemary was overwhelming or you just didn't like it in this cake. Sticking with the herb theme I would try bay leaf, thyme, or savory.

Now if you thought the rosemary was overwhelming I'd say infuse it in the olive oil but then again I don't know the recipe.

For me Queen of Spoons takes the cake I'd go for the orange. I'm not sure how it would pair with the olive oil but I know it would be awesome with the chocolate.

Please report back with your results.

Port2

Stephanie G, any chance of you posting that recipe? It sounds so tempting!

Buddhacat

@nogaga Google it and it will show up in Kim Boyce's blog as well as 101 cookbooks.

Port2

Thank you SKK of the beautiful cat!

Buddhacat

@nogaga, Tom the Cat says thank you!

Thank you nogaga and SKK. I was about to post the same question. Great cat, by the way.

To olive2eat: I LOVE rosemary. Have it in my backyard. In my opinion, it did not go with the chocolate. The cake seemed to have an identity crisis! However, I seem to be in the minority in this opinion. I would encourage everyone to purchase this cookbook, Good to the Grain. I have had it for about a year, and I have actually made about 40% of the recipes. I love the book. The photography is beautiful and the recipes are delicious.