🔎

• 3

• 7042

Can I freeze a whole decorated (buttercream frosting) sheet cake?

Absolutely!

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 2 years ago

From my sister who owns a bakery:

It depends on the cake. You can freeze anything, but whether you ever want to defrost and eat it is another question.

Most standard layer cakes freeze just fine. We recommend against freezing frosting, though, because it takes a toll on the buttercream's consistency. However, people come into the shop all the time and say they've enjoyed defrosted cupcakes of ours.

If it's going to be frozen for a while it's best to put it in the freezer uncovered until the frosting's firm. Then wrap it in a close layer of Saran, then foil. If you have room, store it in a box so it doesn't crush. You have to unwrap it before you thaw it, though, or you get a mess. Alternately, you can just wrap the box it's in airtight and put it in the freezer. In that case, let it come to room temp still wrapped.

AEC added over 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Ordered a custom 2-layer cake w/ buttercream frosting for a party that ended up getting delayed a week. Bakery said do NOT freeze but OK to keep in frig for a week. Not crazy about that idea, but my guess was that frosting wouldn't survive the freezing.