How do I keep my salmon cakes from falling apart?

Do I need to add more binder or more egg or make the flakes much smaller? Whenever I make salmon cakes with cooked salmon which I have flaked, the cakes always disintegrate when I cook them. I refrigerate them before cooking as well but that does not solve the problem.

asked by ssgtravel almost 3 years ago

You probably need more egg and perhaps some Panko crumbs.

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

If they are too dry they will fall apart, so adding another egg might help - I often actually use mayo as my binder and it works quite well. Are you putting both breadcrumbs and egg in them? Your thought of flaking the salmon into smaller pieces may also help. Big chunks don't work very well. I usually mix my salmon cake mixture up so it's almost a whipped consistency!

Mallory

Ritz crackers work great as a binder too- the butter in the crackers helps keep cakes like that together. More egg should help as well.

Junechamp

I use egg white to bind my turkey burgers, and that would work well in your salmon cakes where you may not want a lot more fat or filler.

Dsc_0048b

It's hard to say without seeing your recipe. I use 1 egg for 1 pound of salmon, but I also use a little creme fraiche and mustard. Mayo works as well.

Farmer's_market

In addition to the advice above re: adding egg and some sort of crumb - I always make any kind of fishcake at least a half to one hour before pan-frying them.

I form them and coat or dust them very lightly in panko/bread crumbs - gives a slight outer crust, which is both nice texturally and also helps keep them together in the pan. Then let them rest in the fridge for a bit - this really makes them more cohesive when cooking.