🔔
🔎

99999

Tangerine , Chinese Orange Or Mini Orange ? (I don't 't know the exact name )from our garden love to know how to PRESERVE or any recipe with that

,

asked by pauljoseph about 4 years ago
Canposter

I've got lots of preserving recipes for citrus but help me narrow down what you might like. Are you looking for a sweet preserve like a marmalade or a pickled citrus type? You could also do a candied peel or dried peel to prepare for holiday cooking. Let me know and I'll share all the recipes I have!

PS: Beautiful tree. Totally jealous, as we can't grown that in Wisconsin.

52

Thank you Christina Ward may be they like our tropical climate I like to no all the recipes but.... preferably a pickled citrus that can serve with a chicken or pork roast roast like this http://bbq.about.com/od...

Perhaps some type of mandarin or clementine. Here in south africa they're all known as nartjes. My most favourite thing to do with them these days is sherbet. I use the Joy of cooking orange sherbet recipe and sub nartjes for oranges. Off the top of my head, I think it was a litre of milk, a cup and a half of sugar, a cup and a half of nartje juice, a quarter cup of lemon juice and a few teaspoons of zest (grated rind). All needs to be blended til the sugar dissolves, then I freeze in my ice cream maker. Would think it would make a good kulfi also, and if I had some jaggery, I might be tempted to try that for some or all of the sugar.

Canposter

This is Mark Bittman's simple recipe. It's pretty basic for pickling citrus.

4 clementines (or lemons, or oranges)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Dice lemons, including peel, removing as many seeds as possible. Put the lemons and their juice in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt and sugar; toss well and transfer to a jar. Let the mixture sit for at least 3 hours at room temperature, shaking the jar periodically. It can be served at that point or refrigerated for up to a week.

Yield: About 2 cups.

Dscf2141

You can do a liqueur. Take off the zest avoiding pith and let sit for 3 weeks in 2 parts liquor (vodka works), shake every few days. Then make a simple syrup 1.5:1 sugar to water, let cool. Mix and let site for another few weeks. Then filter thru cheese cloth or coffee filters (I run thru #4 filters then #2 filters). Then bottle, and store in the fridge. I did a batch of limoncello like this with 18 average size lemons 1.5 liters of vodka and 750 ml of syrup. It was awesome. Works with any citrus zest.