🔎

• 3

• 1625

How do I make a pickle brine more mild, not so vingegary tasting. Add some water.?

Wholefoods_user_icon
Debbykalk-photo
latoscana added over 2 years ago

There are a couple of options. One is to brine the pickles, then soak in water to desalt them, and then immerse in a brine that includes sugar, along with less salt and vinegar. Other recipes start out with the sugar, along with the salt and vinegar. There are a number of spices you can add to create a less sharp and salty flavor, such as cloves and cinnamon. Check the Ball Blue Book or other canning book for specific directions, especially for the desalting steps.

Dsc_0675-x2a
Sagegreen added over 2 years ago

Latoscano gives great advice here. You could also look into lacto fermentation where you use salt and pressure with no vinegar!

Scan0004
susan g added over 2 years ago

Macrobiotic recipes for pickled cucumbers so not use vinegar (or sugar). Pack fresh Kirby cucumbers in a jar or crock, add fresh dill, garlic, and a brine (1 tsp salt per cup water, bring just to a boil). Cover, add a weight and leave 10 - 14 days, then refrigerate. I have recipes in The Book of Whole Meals (Annemarie Colbin) and Whole World Cookbook (East West Journal). Very straightforward.