How can I make a okra in a very simple manner without frying?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 3 years ago
Buddhacat

Just spent the last couple of days with friends from India. This is what they taught me about okra. First wash the whole okra then let it dry. After it is dry, slice it. Then season with cumin, salt, pepper and toss in olive oil and bake it. Have to wash and dry or it will be slimy.

Alternately my brother-in-law who owns an award winning barbecue restaurant smokes whole okras - they are so, so good.

Stringio

We like to Grill them, we put them on 2 skewers - like a ladder, We have a spicy sauce that webaste them with. We use garlic, olive oil, chipotle powder, and lime juice (sometimes we add some fresh ginger) or just olive oil, salt and pepper is nice too. Paint on the seasoning sauce and grill 3-4 minutes on each side (longer if you like it softer). My husband doesn't like stewed okra that can get slimey, but he loves it cooked this way.

Stringio

Try preparing the okra as described by SKK up to the slicing. Add a little olive oil to a dutch oven that has been heated over a medium flame. Then some sliced onions and cook until translucent. Next some minced garlic, cooking about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Toss in the okra a cook for about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and maybe some smoked paprika to taste. Finally, add some canned, diced tomatoes with juice. Reduce the heat and cook until the okra is tender. You can add frozen corn at the point as well, just to heat through. Stewed Okra :D