🔎

Is there any difference between "clarified butter" and "ghee"? If so, when do you use one, and when do you use the other? Thank you. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only
Dscf2141
foodfighter added over 3 years ago

Ghee is a type of clarified butter. Based on the nutty flavor of most I have purchased, I would imagine it is cooked more (less water). Also, I have seen that the milk used may be allowed to sour slightly for ghee.

Desert
anyone added over 3 years ago

To my knowledge ghee is clarified butter. Flavors can vary, I'm guessing it has to do with the milk in which the butter is made from. But clarified butter's flavor can vary from batch to batch depending on how far or how much it is simmered. Some chefs I've work for prefered a brown-er flavor than just to the point of liquefication and clarification.

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

From what I've read, agree with foodfighter.

All true, but there should be no problem in substituting one for the other, for anything from an omelet to trout almondine.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

Ghee is actually from cultured milk that has been soured. In traditional Ghee preparation, the butter is melted and once it has separated over heat, the milk solids are allowed to brown very gently, this gives ghee its toasted quality, similar to browned butter. Clarified butter is simply melted butter that has had its milk solids removed.

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago

This is very informative site for Indian Ulsi Ghee http://books.google.co...