A question about a recipe: Crispy Delicata Rings with Currant, Fennel & Apple Relish

112210f_304

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Crispy Delicata Rings with Currant, Fennel & Apple Relish" from ChezSuzanne. It says:

"Lightly salt the squash and let sit for 30 minutes. Completely dry off with paper towels, removing the salt. Heat enough oil to coat a saute pan over medium high heat. Lightly salt the squash rings with fresh salt and add them to the pan. They should sizzle the moment they hit the pan. Don't crowd them or they'll steam more than they'll brown. Saute until lightly browned (about 2 minutes per side). "

Hey! the combination of these flavors sounds wonderful and I'm excited to make it! I was wondering if I could crisp them in the oven? Maybe 400 degrees for 20 minutes then under the broiler for a few to crisp the edges? I know they will never be as crisp as frying them but if you had too use the oven what temperature/time do you reccommend?

thanks so much!!

asked by Sydney almost 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

That sounds like a good plan for the oven -- I might increase the temp to 425, then you won't need to do the broiler.

Me

Thanks for your question! I agree with Amanda on the temp. I tried the oven route but at a lower temperature. Nothing was sacrificed in flavor, but they weren't crisp. That extra heat could make all the difference. Would love to hear how it turns out for you! Enjoy!

Thanks so much! I will try 425 and see what happens. :)

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet