🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Weird oven controls- hi/lo and numbers. Temperature equivalents?

I just moved into a new place and noticed that the control on the oven is marked off Lo/1/2/3/4/5/6/Hi instead of by temperature... does anybody know what the temperature equivalents are? I'm guessing 3 = 300º but I've never seen this before so I'm really not sure. (Sorry if this posted twice, I was having some login issues.)

asked by esti_brennan about 3 years ago
2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

I've never seen this before. I would run to the hardware store & buy an oven thermometer. Put the thermometer in the oven. Start the oven on the low setting then measure the temp. I assume it has some sort of indicator when it has reached the proper temp. Continue raising the setting to each level & writing down the corresponding temperature readings. It will be a bit time consuming, but you'll only have to do it once! Keep the list handy to use as a reference... Good luck!

I think what you've got there is an oven with European controls. I often see instructions given in European recipes with single digit numbers rather than the 3 digit degrees I'm accustomed to in the US. Here's a link to how to decode it in case you wanted to make something before you get a chance to buy a thermometer for the oven: http://www.west175productions...
I think it's always a good idea to test a new oven with a thermometer anyway, just in case it is way off.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

You should also consider going to the oven manufacturers' website to see if there is a manual for that oven. Many appliance manufacturers make their manuals available online, in PDF form, at no charge. If so, that should shed some light on this. If not, call the company's customer service number and ask them. Also, is the control a knob? If so, ask the company if they sell a replacement knob with temperatures on it.It would be worth it! I'd also test the oven with a thermometer to confirm what its actual temperatures are, and to look for hot spots. ;o)

Yes, these are European "gas mark" numbers which actually are more efficient than the US style 400, 450, etc. on a dial which are inexact anyway. Gas mark 6 would be the equivalent of 400F "hot" and then you go to "very hot", "screaming hot" etc. You might look at the endpapers of some of your cook books where you will possibly see conversion charts. After awhile you'll get used to it as no two ovens are calibrated exactly the same anyway.

Flower-bee

The stovetop control knobs in Europe are almost always marked with numbers, some 1-6, some 1-9. But the ovens almost always have a temperature dial knob. They commonly start at 50 C as the lowest setting and go to 250 C for the highest. Some higher end ones might go to 300 C. (I am talking about household ovens, not professional). You could assume those two numbers as your Low and High settings and divide the difference by the number of settings you have. This would work for you if you use the oven for cooking only, but if you bake you would need to get an oven thermometer. It is possible that the Low and High are not an actual dial settings but just a clarification present on there ( I've seen it that way) and 1 would be your lowest, 6 your highest. That should give you 50- 300 C range in 50 degree increments. If they are actual options then you might have: Low= 50, 1= 100, 2= 125, 3= 150,4= 175, 5= 200, 6= 225, High= 275 (all in C).

my nephews wife is from england. she has a blog with conversions on it. according to her,
275°F = 140°C = gas mark 1
300°F = 150°C = gas mark 2
325°F = 165°C = gas mark 3
350°F = 180°C = gas mark 4
375°F = 190°C = gas mark 5
400°F = 200°C = gas mark 6
425°F = 220°C = gas mark 7
450°F = 230°C = gas mark 8
475°F = 240°C = gas mark 9

Photo_9

I am going to recommend that you purchase the cookbook Breakfast Lunch Tea! They have gas mark instructions for their baked recipes. :)