A question about a recipe: Minestrone Soup

052510f_449

I have a question about the recipe "Minestrone Soup" from Foodwriter97426. Has any one frozen this recipe after making it? I'm looking for a good recipe to make now but enjoy all winter.

asked by Becky Murray almost 3 years ago

Oh, no reason at all you can't freeze it. First be sure to cool it adequately. I keep a few empty club soda bottles to use as ice paddles. Fill 3/4 full with water, freeze, and drop into anything you need to cool quickly. After you've cooled your soup, rinse off the bottle, run it through the dishwasher with the water inside, then refreeze. The go-to way for freezing these days is the indispensable ziplock bag. Use whatever size is best for you. Set it in a bowl, turn the ziplock part down like a cuff so the bag stays open, and ladle in your soup. Only fill the bag about 3/4 full so you don't have the Pepsi can in the freezer experience that my son used to think was drop-dead hysterical (and probably still does, truth to tell), zip it closed, lay it flat, and use a Sharpie to label and date it. Stack them up in the freezer like cordwood for a cold winter's night.

I'd recommend freezing it without the pasta, which gets soggy and disintegrates during freezing/reheating.

To serve after freezing, just heat up the soup, cook the pasta separately, and combine at the last minute.

Oooh, good point sfmiller. I forgot to mention that. I always cook rices and pastas separately and add them last, too.