🔎

Making a mushroom barley soup and no dry sherry in the house... any good substitution ideas?

In the house? Well marsala would work, but then you would have to shop for that too.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 3 years ago

My husband always uses a little balsamic vinegar when there is no sherry for his soup...

rwheat added over 3 years ago

How about port? Brandy or dry red would probably work too.

nutcakes added over 3 years ago

I just omit it in that case. Sherry really adds a subtle interesting flavor. Trader Joe's has decent dry sherry at low price. But the vinegar sounds like a good little perk up.

Jon Palmer added over 3 years ago

If the problem is that there's no sherry in the house, I'm assuming you don't want to leave the house to get the substitute, because you could just get sherry then!

What kinds of booze do you have laying around?

Jon Palmer added over 3 years ago

Just think about the characteristics of a dry sherry and match it with whatever is closest in your home.

4009951565_16d666fbc7
Savour added over 3 years ago

Hmm, vermouth, marsala, white wine, red wine, brandy, or balsamic vinegar. All of which I have in my house, but I don't know about yours!

Halloween
iuzzini added over 3 years ago

Recently made mushroom barley soup and used white wine as a stand -in. I also tossed in a parmesan rind (as I do with most soups :) - ln the end the soup had all kinds of flavor and depth!

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

Any fortified wine should suffice. It won;t be exactly the same, but unless you are a supertaster there should not be any problems.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I'd go sub with dry vermouth or wine.

AEC added over 3 years ago

Port would be great. If you don't have any, get some to keep in the cabinet for cooking and apres dinner sipping. So much tastier than sherry, in my book.