🔔
🔎

My mom gave me her old pressure cooker/canner (almost like new). What do I do with this thing? Not only do I have no room in my small kitchen for it, but along with my phobia of exploding appliances, I'm feeling like this will be part of a Good Will donation very soon. Should I keep it? Seek therapy for my phobia?

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

asked about 4 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

If it really is old as in old model (from the 70s) then you may want to consider donating it. Those older pressure cookers were legendary for their explosive nature. If it is relatively new (00s), then keep it. Today's pressure cookers are really safe and are super convenient, beans, rice, and stocks, can be made in half the time. There are plenty of websites that will teach you the ways of your pressure cooker, but if you really feel that there is no place for it, then let some one else have at it.

Image

If you decide to give it away, consider posting it on freecycle.org.

Assuming it's not an antique (in which case your phobia is reasonable), why not try cooking a few things in it and then decide? For some things, it's great. What other tool lets you cook dried beans (without presoaking) in less than 30 minutes, or chicken stock in 40, or have a beef stew or pork carnitas from raw ingredients to the table in less than an hour? It also conserves fuel and doesn't heat up the kitchen as much as open-pot cooking in warm weather. And you can always use it like a stockpot without the cover.

Probably you don't have to worry about exploding pots of food. I have not been getting enough use out of my pressure cooker because I dislike not being able to check on the food's progress. I have opted for throwing things into a slow cooker before work rather than trying to get something done up quick in a pressure cooker after I get home.

Mrs._larkin_370

It's a Presto 12 qt cooker-canner model 01CAA12H. Stamped aluminum. Been in attic for a lonngggg time. Looks brand new. Thanks 4 your thoughts, picklers.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

if it's a canner and u don't want it, please send it 2 me, i need a canner. :) is that inappropriate to post here? too late, but 4 future reference

036

I was talking to my sister about pressure cookers and she said "well, the last thing I remember about mine is an explosion, and then the kitchen was covered with beans" :-) However! I have one - new last Christmas, and I LOVE it and will probably make chickpeas in it tonight for my achiote chickpeas!!!

Becky

I use my presser cooker to make turkey stock at Thanksgiving. Throw the neck etc in there with veggies, onion, bay leaf and you'll have a killer stock for your gravy.
My mom used her pressure cooker to make beef stock (with a chuck roast) and then she'd drop her homemade egg noodles in the broth to cook them. A family classic--wish she were still on earth to make those noodles.

There are some cool things folks in central asia do with them. Lots of good Persian pulaos! However, have to admit it's one of those things I've thought about buying/trying but then thought, nah...

Cakes

I cook artichokes in my pressure cooker.

I just bought one because they are supposed to be a lot easier to use than they look. I checked on Amazon for cookbooks and took a few of the highly recommended out of the library. So far so good! I think the comfort level takes a few go rounds but the time saving is amazing! Give it a shot!