🔎

• 7

• 2702

What is the ratio of liquid to quinoa when cooking it?

Wholefoods_user_icon
Jess-otoole
la domestique added over 2 years ago

1cup quinoa to 1 3/4cups liquid.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

I use Martha Rose Shulman's recipe for quinoa which is 3 cups liquid to 1 cup quiona.

Place the 1 cup quinoa in a bowl, and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes. Drain through a strainer, and rinse until the water runs clear. Bring the 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add salt (1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon) and the quinoa. Bring back to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and translucent; each grain should have a little thread. Drain off the water in the pan through a strainer, and return the quinoa to the pan. Cover the pan with a clean dishtowel, replace the lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If making for the freezer, uncover and allow to cool, then place in plastic bags. Flatten the bags and seal.

A little difference of opinion here. 3 to 1 sounds like too much liquid to me. I go with a 2 to 1 ratio with of course some salt.

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

In weighing in here, I usually use a ratio of 2-1 water to quinoa, and add more water if needed.

sheredel added over 2 years ago

shulman's ratio is similar to one I saw for cooking couscous. will give it a try.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

One of the reasons I love cooking - so many ways to produce a great recipe!

What is useful for me in Shulman's recipe is that first the quiona is soaked for 5 minutes and then rinsed - takes away bitter taste. Then the draining of the water after cooking and placement of dish towel over pot under lid for 10 minutes. This recipe takes no thinking, which is useful for me, and always comes out great.

5254970837_532a2f2e67
halfasiangirl added over 2 years ago

I use 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cups water in a rice cooker. Perfect for me (I have a horror of mushy quinoa).