🔔
🔎

What's your go-to all-butter pastry crust recipe? This is for a savory application (pot pies), and extra points if it will be easily executable by this non-baker :) Thanks!

asked by lastnightsdinner about 4 years ago
Image

I've been using the recipe for pie crust from lapadia's blackerry pie: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
with great success. It's easy, I do it in the food processor, it always comes out delicious, and it works for savory and sweet pies. I've also been intimidated by pie crust--but I watched A&M's pie videos and have been rolling the crust between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, and I'm surprised at how easy it is. I'll never buy pre-made pie crust again.

Profile

Thanks, drbabs!

Cakes

I agree. I made a chicken pot pie and thought that lapadia's crust would do the trick.

It did!

Profile

Excellent, thanks Bevi!

Desert

3-2-1 pie Dough.

3 parts flour
2- part fat
1-part water
pinch of salt

Easy to rememeber and is for the most part an industry standard.

Profile

Thanks, DonnyG! Should that be kneaded by hand or is it food processor-friendly?

Desert

You can pulse your processor to cut the fat into the flour and then knead the water in by hand and be careful you might not need all of the water so add by 3/3rds method. Add 1/3 then a 1/3 and if need be the last 1/3 (ice water works best).. Also I forgot to mention that if you start out with 12 oz flour to start that should be enough for top and bottom for one pie at usual pie tin size. Also for savory you can add an extra pinch of salt. Good luck!

Desert

LND-If I'm being to vague let me know. If you have any questions and don't want to post them message me on food52.

Jc_profilepic

If rolling crust makes you nervous you can try a recipe that has egg in it; the dough can be rolled easily, and, bunched up and re-rolled if necessary. Keep in mind that an egg dough will not be as flaky, but it does have about the half the amount of butter, if that interests you. A good recipe is this:
(Adapted from Nick Malgier's Sweet Dough for Pies, but his calls for 6 T. sugar)

2-1/2 c. unbleached* flour, 1 T sugar, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, 8T unsalted butter cut into pats, 2 large eggs beaten. I do this all in the food processor (pulse dry ingredients a few seconds, add butter, pulse until looks like cornmeal, add beaten eggs last) I add a little ice water so that it forms a ball. Dump onto a floured work surface and knead a few times before diving in half [wrap and chill for an hour in the fridge]. I roll between sheets of waxed paper.
*Mr. Malgieri’s recipe called for bleached flour but I prefer unbleached.

Profile

Great, thanks for your great suggestions - it's very helpful :)