🔔
🔎

Lactose free dessert?

I'm making a dessert for a friend's birthday tomorrow. He's lactose intolerant. He's a good sport about taking lactaid but I'm wondering if there are any amazing dairy free desserts that people love? No butter, no milk, no cream. Thanks!

asked by monkeymom about 3 years ago
Me

This is a really lovely cake; I am sure you sub coconut oil or soy margarine for the butter: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

A cake made with a strong chocolate flavor masks the use of margarine and the loss of butter; Whole Foods (and others) carries 'ice cream' that is made with coconut milk (perfectly safe), or soy..Decadent Delicious (I think) is the brand name. Any fruit crisp, using good margarine (I use Earth Balance) with dark or light brown sugar, cinn/nutmet...
I have milk protein allergy, have been totally dairy free for many years, so I have 'cred' on this subject.

Buddhacat

I love raw food 'cookbooks' because they have amazing recipes, healthy and good. This recipe is a major hit for all my friends, and most think it is real chocolate mousse until I tell them differently. And is lactose free!

It is from Jennifer Cornbleet Raw Food Made Easy
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE - 2 servings - easy to expand
1/4 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked
1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar (I use maple syrup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
3/4 cup mashed avocados
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
1/4 cup water.

Place dates, maple syrup and optional vanilla in food processor and process until smooth. Add avocado and cocoa powder and process until creamy. Add water and process briefly. Store in sealed container. Chocolate Mousse will keep for 3 days in fridge or two weeks in freezer. Serve chilled or at room temp.

3-bizcard

This is my recipe for yellow cake, the recipe calls for milk but I made it for my grand daughter subbing coconut milk she is allergic to dairy, there is no butter in the recipe you use oil.

Dsc00859_2

Some cakes that are made with ground nuts, such as hazelnuts, have a such a rich flavor you don't miss the butter. I have a fabulous Passover recipe for hazelnut torte with rich chocolate glaze I use from Gourmet that the kids beg me to make when it's not holiday time. To me that's a pretty big endorsement (because Passover cakes more often taste a bit "flat", but not this one) Here: http://www.epicurious.com...

Have you tried to tweak david leboviz's idiot cake? It's divine. I'd also suggest looking at oil based cakes. Many fall, fruit creations are made with batters lacking dairy, and which instead use orange juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and eggs as wet ingredients.

Hp_scands_842919525854

http://allrecipes.com/recipe...

This is a wacky cake, so called because there's no creaming of butter and sugar. Makes this about the easiest cake you'll ever make, and happens to be the most moist and delicious: my now go-to recipe for chocolate cake and cupcakes. You can double the recipe for enough batter for three cake layers.
It calls for mayo; have made a vegan version substituting soy mayo plus one tablespoon vegetable oil. Came out just as moist and delicious.
Maybe a chocolate ganache as frosting? There are certain Ghiradelli chocolate chips that don't contain dairy.

Debbykalk-photo

Get a mid-sized watermelon. Draw this design along the mid-section, or slightly higher, with a visible but water soluble marker: sketch out shapes that, when cut out, will form a big bowl with cut-out shapes of birthday candles along the top. You could also do his name or age or "happy birthday" in cut-out form. Scoop out the fruit and add to a fresh fruit salad. Wash off any remaining sign of the marker design. Fill the "bowl" with fruit salad. It will be a memorable centerpiece.

Monkeys

Wow, these are all amazing ideas! Thanks so much for all the tips!

Stringio

Hi Monkeymom, I would like to share with you a product that i recently purchased from No1brands4you called the Yonanas dessert maker which was recommended to me by a friend. It makes great ice-cream/sorbets without adding any dairy products and is made purely from frozen fruit.

Here is the link: http://www.no1brands4you... - if any of you's are interested.

P.s I do not work for the company, so do not know exactly what shipping methods they use but they do deliver on time. Hope this helps others who are looking for tasty treats without the dairy symptoms.

The Herve This chocolate mousse from this site would be good. Also fruit sorbets -- you could make a selection -- sort of a flight of fruit sorbets.

Junechamp

There's a long list of great lactose free desserts. Wine poached pears, Sorbets, Peach Cobbler, All sorts of fruit pies, Apricot Jam Crostata,

Hilary_sp1

The Herve This chocolate mousse is a great choice. I love that recipe and so do the vegans I know.
but you might check veganbaking.net for substitution ratios!