🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake" from boulangere. I would like to contact Boulangere, as Belle Foley was my mother. I would like to know who her mother was. I can be reached at maxmarianne@embarqmail... I was born on Denton Hill Rd in Fenton Michigan Max Foley

asked by Marianne Foley about 3 years ago
Buddhacat

Go to this site and look above and you will see 'send me a message'. This will allow you to contact boulangere directly. http://www.food52.com/cooks...

Oh, my goodness, Mr. Foley! You've given me a serious set of chills. I would very much love to talk to you. If you'll send me an email through the link that SKK kindly posted above, I'll be right in touch. Thank you so very much!

Image

Wow, I have tears in my eyes. This is so cool!

Dsc_0048b

My mother would say "what a small world!"

Me too, drb! I'm truly stunned.

Scan0004

I've seen one other 'reunion' on food52. These are remarkable, and soothing in today's virtual world.

Oh, susan g, I'm still stunned by this.

Mr. Foley, I have had a most remarkable day telling my sister, my son and daughter, and friends to whom I've passed along this recipe of your contact. Your mother and her cake are legendary in my family, and I so very much look forward to talking to you. I'm very interested to hear how you found the recipe!

susan g, given the family I came from (and aren't all of them dysfunctional in some way), you have no idea how precious this is. Seriously, I have had a perfectly miraculous day sharing this with family and friends.

And by the way, my son's name is Max!

I just had a life-altering conversation with this gentleman. Bless you, food52!

3-bizcard

This is so amazing. Unbelievable the whole thing I am so glad you got to connect, So beautiful.

sdb, I've had chills all day. I had a blast forwarding this to my sister, son and daughter. What a fantastically nice man! He knew my mother, her sisters and brother, and gave me the names of our grand and great-grandparents. What a nice, nice man. His son was trolling in the internet for something this morning and the food52 recipe for Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake came up. Blessings on food52! Blessings, blessings! I've been reunited with a great missing piece of my family's history because of you. Thank you beyond words.

Gator_cake

boulangere, I'm thrilled for you! What a wonderful and amazing gift to receive. Cheers to you and food52!

3-bizcard

Amazing and miraculous!!! I am so happy for you "b". How incredible.

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

"Hallelujah"… Live, Love, Laugh and be Happy!

I really can't tell you all how breathless and grateful I am over this. What a nice, nice man who knows more about my dated family than I do. We have many hours of conversation to come. Food52 is truly amazing. I am grateful beyond words to all of you for more facets than I can name. I am humbled by forces far, far beyond myself. Thank you profoundly.

Amen, lapadia!

And now all my own animals need to be fed. I love you profoundly, my friends. Goodnight after a very emotional day.

make that a very VERY emotional day and conversation. This site is miraculous.

Buddhacat

This site is about relationships, it is miraculous. I am so thrilled for you and Max boulangere!

Me

This is maybe the most amazing thing on food52 yet. I have been following this from the start and am bowled over at what has transpired. So so so happy for you boulangere!

And now to finish off the story, I received this email from him this morning:

It was really great talking to you last night. I sent the cake recipe with your remarks to my sons, nieces and nephews and some cousins that would have known the Goodfellows. When I talked to my sister this AM, (I think I told you today is her 88th) I read your remarks to her and she said it was your mother, without my telling her that I had talked to you. She remarked that my mother and your grandmother were just great friends. Did you know that your grandmother went to college late in life and then taught in the Fenton Schools? Will talk again. Max

This is an amazing community. I am grateful to food52 in a whole new way now.

3-bizcard

This just gets better and better. I love the email from Max, what an amazing story and it keeps unfolding.

sdb, as I hope I've adequately conveyed, the entire experience has been breathtaking. My family is a very fractured one, and Max Foley has brought a huge loop around us all. I've loved sharing this with my son and daughter and sister. I will certainly keep in touch with him, and I love that he shared the recipe and its story among our extended families. And yes, I did know that my grandmother had returned to college at an age before it was customary for people of certain ages to do so, and that she had been a much beloved teacher in the Fenton schools. Many years ago my aunt had sent us a newspaper story about her. Thank you for following along.

3-bizcard

I am following this because its heartwarming, miraculous and very interesting and I love that you are filling in some gaps through Mr. Foley.This is so wonderful.

Buddhacat

I am following along (with sdebrango and the rest of Food52) because I believe in happy endings and you and Max are the beginning of a happy ending. Boulangere, thank you so much for sharing this with us. And for feeding your animals!

Just when I thought the story had reached a conclusion, today I received this from Max Foley:

Cynthia, My niece said she had the frosting recipe that went with the cake. We lost many recipes in one of our moves and so I didn't have it. The only thing I remember about the frosting is that it is like eating fudge and I always liked the corner piece of the cake as the frosting was the thickest. Give it a try and see what you think. Max

I never knew this existed. I'll post the frosting recipe on the Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake recipe page.

I feel like Christmas has come a few months early.
-

3-bizcard

I can't wait to see the frosting recipe. This keeps getting better!!

Just posted it.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

this has totally made my day! what a great, great story, boulangere. so happy for your good fortune. you have paid it forward in a million different ways, with your generosity, good will and friendship. Hooray for cake!

mrsl, I have been bowled over for the past 2 days by this. I had a long, long phone conversation with Max Foley last night that honestly brought tears to me several times. My family is a fractured one on both sides, and Mr. Foley and his children and their progeny have enriched us beyond words. As you say, better living through cake!

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

This is totally amazing, boulangere! Wow! I got chills reading through this entire exchange!
Best wishes, em-i-lis

I'm still getting chills emilis, thank you so much.

Chris_in_oslo

Every now and then, I think about posing food pickle questions about how to name recipes. This thread has SO answered one of the things that I wonder about, "Does it add to the recipe to name it after a person?" Yes it does! I wonder what kind of responses I could get from "Dot's Chocolate Cake" and "Mrs. Baxter's Swedish Bread." Hurrah for communications in the new millennium and the best of wishes to boulangere and her Foley friends!

omg, greenstuff, here of all sites the recipe can be what is is, don't you think? Food nourishes us all over the generations, no?

Chris_in_oslo

Wow, boulangere. "The recipe can be what it is," is such a big thought. Thanks for living out this piece of your life with all your virtual friends. Lots of food for thought, and I really do mean that in all its interpretations..

Profound thanks to you all.

boulangere, I am the Great-niece of Belle Foley. My dad grew up next door to her and he and Max are cousins. Max is also my God-father. I was so happy to get this information from Max. I had unexpected tears appear as I read this stream of conversation. My Aunt Belle was a 'larger-than-life' figure and I have great memories of going to the farm to visit her.

The fact that Aunt Belle was part of your mother's life was amazing but how wonderful that Max is now part of your life.

Continue to post information if you can.

Enjoy this experience.

3-bizcard

We are all watching this unfold and it's amazing, I noticed that Mrs. Foley's great grand daughter left a comment on the post for the cake recipe. I am making this cake soon and it will be even more special knowing the rich history of this fantastic cake.

Kfoley, how wonderful to hear from you and see you now on food52. This is an astonishing community in many ways, as I see you've gathered. I've shed tears throughout this exchange, as well. My impression of your great aunt is exactly as you mentioned: larger than life, and kind through and through. I had a wonderful conversation with your Uncle Max the other evening, and look forward to remaining in touch with your beautiful family. Thank you so much for sending the frosting recipe!

Lorigoldsby

B- I recommended your recipe in response to a hotline request...as I copied the link, I reread your headnote because I always reread that story when I make this cake. I've always found it to be very poignant and a little profound...and then I read the amazing thread about Max and your grandmother-WOW! Don't know how I missed this before but glad I caught up!

Thank you so much, Lori! I'm working on a blog post about it as we speak. It's been a vastly warm experience sharing the cake and its history, not to mention discovering new family members.

Chris_in_oslo

So glad to see this one come up again! I personable as it sometimes seems, we have to leve the Internet. I'll be looking for that blog post.

Hope to have it up this week. Thanks, Greenstuff!

I hope this will be a blog post soon to complete this incredible story!

Thanks for all the good nudges.

Ozoz_profile

oh wow, 10 months later and the emotion is still as strong. Actually, I know some 'Foleys' who have just moved back to Michigan. I knew them in Nigeria and then we met and worked together again in the Netherlands till last August. I am going to email them now...to see if this is their family.....How amazing and wonderful. Isnt life precious?

How kind of you, KB! I'd love to know if they're related.

Junechamp

I agree, KB. Don't know how I missed this thread the first time around.

boulangere, it gave me goose bumps. Food is such an amazing connector in so many ways. I too am looking forward to your blog post.

Smokin_tokyo

The way to a man's heart might be through his stomach, but the way to my heart is an absolutely wonderful true tory like this.

What a wonderful community, what a wonderful 'HOME'. Thank you food52.

Yes it most certainly is. This has been an experience like no other.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

I just came across this thread, boulangere ... astonishing and lovely. I look forward to your post.

Oh, how sweet of you! I'm working on it as we speak.