🔔
🔎

Name of Italian cherries to use in cocktails?

What is the name of those fancy, candied Italian cherries - with stems - for cocktails? We're having a dinner party Saturday and I want to serve fresh whiskey sours. I looked all over Little Italy here in San Diego - nothing but blank looks.

asked by Lizthechef about 3 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

Maraschino cherries?

Maraschino Cherries
If you can't find them with specialty items in the liquor department,try a old fashioned ice cream parlor that serves traditional Sunday's. Maybe they will let you bum a few off of them or tell you where you can source them.

Maraschino Cherries
If you can't find them with specialty items in the liquor department,try a old fashioned ice cream parlor that serves traditional Sundae's. Maybe they will let you bum a few off of them or tell you where you can source them.

Newliztoqueicon-2

No, definitely not marachino cherries...

3-bizcard

Is it Amarena Cherries.

Gator_cake

If you've got the time and can find the ingredients you could try these: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Newliztoqueicon-2

Yes, that is the word I couldn't remember "Amarena". Too bad they are nowhere to be found here right now...Thanks, sdeb!

3-bizcard

You can order and have them overnighted, they carry them at Amazon and Markethall foods. You are welcome. They are delicious cherries

Sdebrango has it right. In fact I have some on hand right now. In addition to cocktails they are good in clafoutis and wierdly, on top of waffles.

Amarena cherries are the only way to rock.

Me

Ditto boulangere and pierino!

Newliztoqueicon-2

Thanks, gang, you are all invited for cocktails Saturday night. We can toast Amarena cherries in fresh whiskey sours or Manhattans...

Dsc00426

if there's an italian specialty foods shop near you, they might carry them. and there are plenty of places online that carry them. as a bartender, i have often found myself swatting away the hands of customers and staff alike who can't resist sneaking them out of my garnish set up.

Dsc00426

sorry-- i just saw you looked around little italy. another angle you could try is to find a bar or restaurant that uses them and then beg and plead for them to sell you some. it doesn't hurt to ask; bring a little container with you and flash your foodie flag.

Junechamp

hmmm needs Amarena cherries in San Diego? by this weekend? Call my friend Bernard Guillas (or his chef de cuisine, Ron Oliver) at The Marine Room in LaJolla, and beg for some. Or if you know another chef in town. I think that would be your best bet. And I'd be surprised if Bernard and Ron didn't have some in their kitchen.

IF you had a couple of extra days, www.salumeriaitaliana.com sells them in their on-line store, and they'd get them right out to you.

Newliztoqueicon-2

Oh CJ, I'd never have the nerve to approach Chef Guillas for a handful of cherries...I think I have found some - but thanks so much!