A question about a recipe: Jean Anderson's Sweet Red Pepper Paste <br>(Massa de Pimentão)

I have a question about the recipe "Jean Anderson's Sweet Red Pepper Paste
(Massa de Pimentão) " from Genius Recipes. I discovered there's a narrow window between peppers cooked enough to make a smooth puree and cooked so long they get dry and can't be peeled. Suggest covering the bowl after 2 hours.

asked by magdance almost 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Sorry to hear that! Was your oven on convection? I started them on convection once, but switched it off when it seemed they were drying out. Thanks for the feedback -- I'll make a note in the recipe.

Personally, I "roast" peppers directly on gas burners (hopefully you have them), sometimes six at a time. After that they steam in a paper bag or in a bowl under cling wrap for maybe 30 minutes. After that they peel and puree easily. Some residual burned skin is not such a bad thng.
For dried peppers such as noras I pour boiling water over them, allow them to soften and then stem and seed them.

Image

When I made this, I found that the technique worked much better on the larger pieces of pepper. On the smaller pieces, the skin and the flesh kind of melted together.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet