🔔
🔎

I'm in Canada and haven't been able to find fire roasted tomatoes any where. Any suggestions for what could be a suitable alternative? Regular old tomatoes just don't do the recipes justice.

Thanks!

asked by eriin_83 about 4 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Ohh that is a tough one! The unique flavor of fire roasted tomatoes is hard to replicate, but if you mean a product that tastes similar maybe roasted bell peppers also sun dried tomatoes, but really you can make your own fire roasted tomatoes. If you have a gas stove, turn it to high and rotate your tomatoes over it until they look black charred and burned, put them in a bowl and cover it with plastic film. Wait a few minutes and remove all the burnt skin.

Desert

Can you find oven roasted tomatoes?

Desert

Mr Vittles-Do you mean put them over a gas burner? Thats what I would do?

rod

Not sure where you live in Canada, but if you have a Whole Foods nearby, they sell them

@DonnyG Yes that's what I meant. Turn the burner to high and hold the tomatoes over the flame holding it with a pair of metal tongs. Sorry about that.

I agree with Donny G and Mr V, but let's face it tomato season is over, especially in Canada. In the lower 48 I think Muir Glen is the best brand for canned fire roasted. You might have to sneak across the border to get them. As far as substitutions, it all depends on how you plan to use them.

Dsc03010

LOL. . .You know what's wrong with this picture? The words "fire" and "roasted" are in the question, and the only people who answered are male.

Desert

betteirene- You crack me up at the very least once a week. And It's only Monday!

In a pinch, you can open a can of regular tomatoes and put them under the broiler.