I have fresh flounder that I have to freeze. What's the best way to package it for freezing?

asked by Heather Bklyn almost 4 years ago
2f4926e2-248b-4c22-a6f7-8f2d888b8488.3-bizcard

If you have access to a vacuum sealer its best in my opinion, if not wrapped well in plastic and placed in a freezer bag making sure you press all the air out of the bag before you seal and that way you will avoid the possibility of freezer burn.

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04.avatar

I would do plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, then freezer bag. I have read that this method is the best for preventing freezer burn. Also, freeze as soon as possible and in small portions, if you'll want to defrost smaller portions.

53573b8d-4bf0-4ffd-843d-b2e617cfeb6b.dscn3274

And try to cook the fish as soon as possible!!

Fished flounder as a kid...my dad would always put like a pound of filets in a plastic bag, squeeze out the air, then immerse the sealed bag in a plastic quart container. Lasted months that way.

0f493ab9-068f-4498-ba2c-95c992214d52.sit2

The Vacuum sealer is the best option. But there's a cheaper option now.
Ziplock makes a small hand pump for removing air from their (specialized) bags.
The bags have a coin sized 'spot' where you place this little pump to vac out the air.
They sell gallon sized bags. The pump and 3 small bags in the starter kit are only 5 dollars. Most supermarket have them now in the bag/foil/wax paper section.

I have both foodsaver and that..and I use the vac ziplock bags for short term storage of cheeses, you can re-zip them and pump out air for daily use---without wasting 2 inches of foodsaver bags.

The seals can break sometimes..so check from time to time. It's 5 bucks..so don't expect heatseal tech..but it works very, very well for what it is.
I think that would work just fine for fish stored for a few months frozen.

Wholefoods_user_icon

If I have to freeze fish, I always use this method: place the fish in a plastic freezer bag, fill with enough water to cover the fish, carefully fold the bag while pushing out as much air as you can; seal and freeze flat. The fish never dry out.