🔔
🔎

Filling side dish for when you don't like the main course?

I'm going to a friend's house for fondue. Unfortunately, I hate fondue. What kind of filling side dish can I bring that would go well with the fondue for everyone else, and feed me?

asked by linzarella about 3 years ago

Oh, I feel your pain. I guess this is something you couldn't get out of? I think in your situation I would bring a wonderful salad--lots of fresh vegetables, some fruit and cheese,maybe some nuts-- something I could make a meal out of and they could enjoy a taste of. I hope you have fun.

Gator_cake

What type of fondue is it? If it's cheese-based I would suspect there will be some veggies you could eat plain, so probably go with a grain or pasta based salad-esque dish:

08270410avatar_messbrasil

Is she a good friend?How close are you?Would she get mad or sad if you just told her the truth?I bet you she'll put out some bread or crudités,you could fill on those.Or just eat before you leave the house,nobody gets hurt and you get to show up with a vodka bottle and become everyone's hero! ... Before I go,no ofense,but how can you not love melted cheese or melted chocolate?

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Potato Pancakes or variation, swedish meatballs or a hearty salad.

"fondu" is a rather broad term. Is it cheese fondu? Hot stock Fondu? Hot Oil Fondu?

If the person likes that type of cooking. Maybe for a post party xmas present. Get them a "Mongolian Hot pot". Which is similar to fondu.
Slices of raw meat are served and dinners place that into the stock for their bowls with veggies cooked in the stock with small bowls of sauces to be added to the bowls.

Plates of bean sprout, mint, basil, can also be served with that like a Pho Soup.
The center chimney is heated by either a few lumps of coal, or sterno.

Beijing_mutton_hot_pot_muttonwithpot

Buddhacat

@Sam1148 - love the photo. I have something like this I got in Japan and we use it to fix shabu shabu, which translated means 'swish swish'. We use a miso stock. Didn't realize Mongolia used this also.

Headshot

@Sam1148 - Now THAT is my kind of fondue. I love cheese and chocolate, but just not melted for some weird reason. Thanks everyone else for the suggestions. I think some kind of grain salad will be the easiest.

@linzarella
You can pick up a hot pot like that for 25 bucks or so at an Asian market, those are usually spun aluminum or stainless steel..the copper clad ones are pricey.

For super pricey charcoal. http://korin.com/Binchotan...
Is rated for indoor use..I'd test it first.
But I've used some compressed coconut nut husk charcoal in mine in doors without fumes. Where you live you could probably find those locally, they're sometimes used in the little 'pu pu' plater grills at resturants (or well, they used to be back in the day).

I have to relay this personal story about fondu. In the "bravest thing I've ever seen catagory".
Mid 70's Mom was making hot oil fondu. The Neighbors came over and their kids, about 4 years old, As she was bringing the hot oil to the table one of the kids bolted in the room and latched on to her leg--at the same time the cheap handle of the fondu pot with the nut and bolt started to fail and the pot titled..and oil started to drip out.
She cupped her hand and caught the hot oil to protect the kid while she went back to the sink to dump everything still dragging the kid who was ridding her leg.

3-bizcard

OMG, Sam that could have been a real disaster. Your Mom saved that child from a terrible burn. She sounds amazing.

Chris_in_oslo

Wow, Sam.

As for using charcoal in the Mongolian hot pot, my family and friends have done it for years, though it does make me a little uncomfortable. And one note--besides the fumes, be sure to protect your table. I have a slight scorch mark on mine.

I have had trouble getting the broth hot enough with Sterno, so if anyone has had success there, I'd like to hear about it. In shabu-shabu places in Japan, I've seen electric models, but I've never seen one for sale in the States.

Sorry to run off on your original topic linzarella. Hope its a fun dinner, regardless of menu.

For a recent community dinner I made roasted peppers stuffed with red quinoa. It is filling and won't conflict with the fondue.

P1291120

Talk to your friend -- PRONTO! Make sure she won't be insulted by you bringing an unexpected extra dish. Read Miss Manners from this week -- she had a whole column on how rude it is to bring unexpected dishes and why.

Headshot

@SeaJambon - thanks for the tip, but luckily, it's a very close childhood friend, who I felt comfortable telling I didn't like fondue. A few people are coming and everyone is brining a side dish, so I offered to bring something hearty. I think Pierino's suggestion is a winner!

P1291120

Excellent! I'm glad that she knows and it is all cool. I'd hate for you to be on the wrong side of Miss Manners... :)

Dsc_0028

My heavens, Sam1148 -- your mother must have been badly burned herself if she caught the hot oil in her hand! That IS brave!

Me_by_barbara_tyroler

Does everyone know that soy sauce or yellow mustard are good, quick home treatments for burns? Of course, they won't be a substitute for medical treatment for really bad ones.