🔎

A question about a recipe: Perfect bacon bits

I have a question about the recipe "Perfect bacon bits" from Chef Krull. It seems like I'm constantly rendering bacon, pancetta and procuitto to enhance finished dishes. Would it work for pancetta & proscuitto as well? If the final product creates a soft rendered meaty pieces of goodness, can I store in fridge, bring to room temperature and crisp up in a fry pan or broiler? When you make these bacon bits what type of dishes or recipes do you use them for? The make-ahead and technique is very appealing to me for dishes that I dont need to use the rendered fat. Thank you.

41_thumb
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

I first learned about Chef Krull's method of making bacon bits from my nephew, Chef Casey! It is a brilliant way of making bacon bits and I am thrilled it got posted. I haven't tried the method for prosciutto because it is so thin and so good in its natural state. Pancetta may be different because of its fat content.

I use the bacon bits for salads, sprinkled on top of soups and on top of pizza and flatbreads - bacon is good for everything!

I crisp them up in the oven, and microwave works also. They don't take long!
Store in the fridge about a week, and they can also be frozen.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

I just looked at Chef Krull's photo and it is my nephew!

Phone_176
Chef Krull added over 2 years ago

I like to use the bacon bits for topping anything. It's a quick way to add cooked bacon to any recipe. Good when you are making something that will be baked, soups and chowders, the list goes on. If you cook your bacon in a frying pan, it becomes crisp and even crumbly without rendering all of the fat, because it is a dry method, and it cooks the meat before the fat can be cooked out. Also, the only part of the bacon that is being cooked is what is touching the pan. My method allows for even cooking and renders out almost all of the fat, because it is submerged and the heat is even around the entire surface. The water makes it render the fat and salt. When the water is gone, the fat and salt go back into the meat for a consistent product without fatty pieces. It can be stored in the fridge. I don't store it cold, because I don't want the fat that is left behind to be cold and make the bacon clump together, and I know I'll be using it within the next week or so. I haven't tried this method with prosciutto. If you try it, make sure that you watch it very closely, because it's so thin, it might burn easily. After the water is gone, crisp it on a sheet tray in the oven or broiler. Pancetta would work the same, because it is the same product as bacon, except it hasn't been smoked. If you want to crisp it, I would try it in the oven or broiler. If you did it in a frying pan, you would have to add fat back to it to avoid burning. When you do my method, it will become crispy if you let it cook longer after the water is cooked off, but you run a higher risk of burning, so keep turning down the burner. Those little bubbles coming to the top are from the moisture in the bacon evaporating, so fewer bubbles equals less moisture in the bacon. Moisture lowers the temp of the oil, so less moisture equals hotter oil. It can turn on you in a matter of seconds and burn. Keep in mind that it will be crispier once it's cold. I always make more than I need because it's so versatile, and I know I'll be snacking on it while I cook. Try it and let me know what you think. P.S. This is the only time I will ever suggest boiling meat of any kind.

3-bizcard

I was just going to post here asking for an explanation of the science behind this method, thank you Chef Krull for explaining. I will try this method, I add bacon to my stuffing on Thanksgiving and I think this will work beautifully.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 2 years ago

Thank you Chef Krull for the detailed explanation! I love it!
Check out this beauty for "boiled" meat - so good - promise! : )

Phone_176
Chef Krull added over 2 years ago

Thank you sdebrango and sexyLAMBCHOPx! I'm always afraid my explanations are getting too wordy and that I'm telling people something they already know. I think I'll have to try that recipe for Vaca Frita. It looks good only I don't know why it would be necessary to boil the meat rather than simmer it for longer, or even braise it.

kris_boydstun added over 2 years ago

Thanks, Chef Krull! I absolutely love to learn new techniques, and this one will be used often! I can't wait to try it!

kris_boydstun added over 2 years ago