asked almost 3 years ago
Me

My usual base for vegetable stock comes from the "leftover" peelings and trimmings I save up from the week, which I toss with a bit of olive oil and roast for a half-hour in a 350 degree oven with some garlic cloves, fresh thyme, then simmer in water to cover with peppercorns and fresh parsley tops. SInce you're already roasting carrots for the recipe, I'd cube some parsnips and onions, add some sliced winter squash, garlic and leeks, along with a carrot or two, and toss with olive oil and roast at 350 degrees with some fresh thyme, then simmer with peppercorns and fresh parsley. Add salt to taste. LOVE the roasted carrot soup.

Buddhacat

My absolute favorite for vegetable stock is really a vegetable bouillon. Amazingly delicious and I keep it in my freezer at all times. The basic recipe came from 101 Cookbooks and the recipe is quite flexible. http://www.101cookbooks...
And you are most welcome, AJ!

With_ab

I'm with wssmom. One of the things I recently discovered/found out is that onion and garlic skins have a ton of flavor! Those were auto-throw-outs for me before, so now i make great oniony-garlicky stocks with them

I keep a stock bag in the fridge also. I keep clean onion peels, garlic trimmings, mushroom stems, the stems from fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, marjoram, thyme), the green tops of leeks, tomato ends. On cook day, which is usually Sunday, I peel some carrots, trim some celery, chop up a couple of more onions with skins on, roast them à la wssmom, and always have stock on hand for soup, deglazing, cooking rice, whatever.