🔎

• 2

• 470

A question about a recipe: Mashed Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes

I have a question about the ingredient "large sweet potatoes (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)" on the recipe "Mashed Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes" from ashleyza.

Want to make sure you mean sweet potatoes and not yams. I find that they are frequently cross-labeled. But I think of yams as roots that turn pretty watery after cooking and true sweet potatoes to keep that potato consistency. I love Japanese satsuma sweet potatoes!

100411-food52-0385
With_ab
JessicaBakes added over 2 years ago

I can't speak for the author, but, when it comes to mashing, I'm a tried and true sweet potato person. I think you're right about sticking with what it says and not subbing yams (though, at the end of the day, probably both are delicious)

ashleyza added over 2 years ago

Thank you so much for your interest in my recipe! I definitely use sweet potatoes for this dish. I have used both and prefer the sweet potato. A yam is actually sweeter, but I just find the savory combination works best with the sweet potato.