🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Mashed Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes

100411-food52-0385

I have a question about the ingredient "large sweet potatoes (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)" on the recipe "Mashed Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes" from ashleyza.

Want to make sure you mean sweet potatoes and not yams. I find that they are frequently cross-labeled. But I think of yams as roots that turn pretty watery after cooking and true sweet potatoes to keep that potato consistency. I love Japanese satsuma sweet potatoes!

asked by Tokyo Yum about 3 years ago
With_ab

I can't speak for the author, but, when it comes to mashing, I'm a tried and true sweet potato person. I think you're right about sticking with what it says and not subbing yams (though, at the end of the day, probably both are delicious)

Thank you so much for your interest in my recipe! I definitely use sweet potatoes for this dish. I have used both and prefer the sweet potato. A yam is actually sweeter, but I just find the savory combination works best with the sweet potato.