A question about a recipe: Mashed Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes

100411-food52-0385

I have a question about the ingredient "large sweet potatoes (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)" on the recipe "Mashed Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes" from ashleyza.

Want to make sure you mean sweet potatoes and not yams. I find that they are frequently cross-labeled. But I think of yams as roots that turn pretty watery after cooking and true sweet potatoes to keep that potato consistency. I love Japanese satsuma sweet potatoes!

asked by Tokyo Yum over 3 years ago
62da2e3c-5d4a-4c43-a2ed-feb7f39ad363.with_ab

I can't speak for the author, but, when it comes to mashing, I'm a tried and true sweet potato person. I think you're right about sticking with what it says and not subbing yams (though, at the end of the day, probably both are delicious)

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

Thank you so much for your interest in my recipe! I definitely use sweet potatoes for this dish. I have used both and prefer the sweet potato. A yam is actually sweeter, but I just find the savory combination works best with the sweet potato.