🔎

Best food mill?

Hi, I'm in the market for a good food mill but don't want to spend the amount for a Rosle. What's your favorite mid-priced mill that is sturdy and preferably not plastic? I'm having a hard time finding any good information. I'm going to be using it primarily for apple butter- is the mill better than a chinoise?
Many thanks!

Img_0836-001_(1)
3-bizcard

The oxo food mill, $50 enamel and stainless really nice.
http://www.williams-sonoma...
I have the cuisipro bought it about 8 yrs ago its very good but bought the oxo for a friend who loves it!

Scan0004
susan g added over 2 years ago

I grew up with the Foley food mill. It's a real workhorse! I always used it for applesauce, and it's perfect -- smooth and (for redskinned apples), pink.

Img_0836-001_(1)

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Thanks, y'all! I just ordered the oxo one as it looks like the new handle on the foley is not popular. really appreciate it!

EmilyC added over 2 years ago

Like susan g, I also grew up with the Foley food mill. My mom gave me one of hers, and I really like it. It's a good value. I've never made apple butter with mine, but it should fit the bill well!

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added over 2 years ago

I would not recommend the Cuisipro. The knob of the handle kept falling off of mine, something you would not expect from such a pricey item (now even pricier). I noticed others commenting on Amazon with the same problem. The company boasts about a 25-year warranty, so I contacted them -- a few times by email, once by phone over several months -- with no response. Not until I threatened to call the attorney general in my state did I get a response -- and a new handle. My old Foley never let me down, but I wanted stainless steel, hence the Cuisipro purchase. Commenters on Amazon do seem to like the Oxo. A chinois is not the equivalent of a food mill. They serve different functions. For processing cooked apples for sauce or butter, I'd stick with a food mill.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added over 2 years ago

btw, i see the Foley now comes in stainless steel -- mine is decades old -- and is very affordable.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added over 2 years ago

I vote Foley. I'm about to invest in my second one, after about 30 years... I use mine more than I use my food processor or blender. It's my go to kitchen gadget!

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

I have the Oxo and love it! Would recommend it to everyone.