🔎

Crème fraîche ice cream

Has anyone played around with this? Did you sub cf for any or all of the cream? When did you add it? This has been rattling around in my head for a while, and I think I'll try it one of these days. Thanks, I'd love to know if anyone else has worked on it and what your results were.

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

Specific recipe for it?

Not necessarily, just if anyone has played around with different proportions of it in the mix. When I make ice cream, I heat the milk and half the sugar to a scald, whisk the remaining sugar into the yolks, temper in the hot milk, cook is over a bain marie to 165 degrees, cool over an ice bath, then add the cream. I'm thinking of replacing half the cream with crème fraîche. I'd like to do it plain the first time, without any fruit, just to get a feel for the flavor profile. Oooh, maybe sub honey for the sugar. Okay, I get the point, I should just do it and see what happens.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Came across this through twitter. um, did food pickle just switch their twitter name to food52hotline? I am not digging it.

yes, is there a recipe for this boulangere, because it sounds amazing.

mrslarkin, I think I'm just going to do the science experiment with it and see what happens. I'm really liking the honey rather than sugar. I'm hoping for a sort of simple, earthy ice cream. I'll post the results if they're palatable. Thanks!

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

The closest I've come is Amanda's sour cream ice cream in the essential New York Times Cookbook, which I adore. The ice cream. And the book. Briefly:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 cups whole milk sour cream
1 cup nonfat yogurt
1/4 teaspoon salt

combine sugar and water in saucepan, heat until sugar is dissolved, let cool.
combine sour cream, yogurt and salt in a bowl, pour in cooled syrup while whisking. Put in tight fitting container and refrigerate four hours or overnight.
Pour sour cream mix into ice cream maker and process; freeze at least two hours.

Very interesting, thanks!

Mrs._larkin_370

yes, interesting! no egg yolks in that one, wssmom. What is the purpose of egg yolks, anyway? To make ice cream creamier?

It would be fun to do a side-by-side comparison of no yolks vs. yolks. Boulangere, would your class be up for that research??

here a recipe for sour cream ice cream, with egg yolks: http://www.sassyradish...

P.S. I will be sad if the foodpickle is decommissioned. What will happen to the Magic Pickle? Woe is me.

3-bizcard

I saw on Martha Stewarts website a recipe for buttermilk ice cream and creme fraiche ice cream. Here is the link to the creme fraiche one:
http://www.marthastewart...
She doesn't use any cream or milk in it I like what you want to do and can't wait to hear the results.

Mlt_yogateau_1
mtrelaun added over 2 years ago

I followed David Lebovitz' directions. He adds the creme fraîche at the very end, before you pour the mixture into the machine. If I remember correctly, the base starts off as an egg-based custard.

Oh, thank you all so much! And I love the idea of a side-by-side test. You bet we're up for it. We have a week of nothing but desserts coming up in 2 weeks. DECOMMISSION THE FOODPICKLE! What do you know that we don't?!?!?!? I love, love, love the foodpickle! It's some of my favorite reading every day. Very original, very, well, necessary.

Mrs._larkin_370

It looks like the name is changing on twitter to @Food52Hotline: http://twitter.com/#!/Food52Hotline...

Sorry if the cat's out of the bag, food52. My bad.

In fact, I have played around with it http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Well clearly you're much more twitterish than I am, mrsl. Thank you, pierino!

Image

Oh yes! I tested pierino's gelato for Editors' pick--it's wonderful.

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

I have noticed a dearth of foodpicklers of the week ....

Thanks, drb. Me too, wssmom. : (

Image

I suspect our friends in charge of Food52 are busily working on the changes they have promised...can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves!