🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Bitterness -- after the fact -- in root vegetables: I made a root vegetable dish for which I cooked on the stove rutabagas and turnips.

A good bit of buttermilk and butter were added. I also added an apple, because I had a bunch on the counter and it seemed like a good idea. The dish was quite tasty on the night we ate it. Three nights later, when I heated up the leftovers, they were inedible, due to an overpowering bitter taste. The turnips were juicy fresh, and the rutabaga seemed fine (though not as juicy as the turnips) when I prepared the dish. What went wrong? Is this typical of turnips and/or rutabagas? Thank you. ;o)

asked about 3 years ago
With_ab

I've seen this with turnips before too when they were by themselves. No idea why, but I suspect the turnips!

Me

How much did you peel the turnips/rutabaga? I find that I have to cut in at least 1/4 to maybe a half-inch to eliminate the potential bitterness. I know it feels as if you are getting rid of a lot of it, but it surely helps!