🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

dont have baking soda but have baking powder, how do I sub?

asked by brandon about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

From the Food Lab at Serious Eats: "While it's possible to substitute baking powder in a recipe that calls for baking soda (use a ratio of three measures of baking powder for every measure of baking soda), you can't expect the flavor profile to remain the same with all the extra acid that baking powder adds to the mix." http://www.seriouseats...
Good luck!

Img__631-1_(1)

if you have cream of tartar and baking soda you can make baking powder. If I remember right it would be 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar and two of soda. Might check the internet I am sure there is an exact ratio

I've used the ration of 3 parts soda to 1 part COT, sifted together, then sifted along with the dry ingredients for an effective single-acting baking powder.

Scan0004

Brandon has the opposite problem, has baking powder, no soda. Maybe a quick shopping run is needed, or make a different recipe...

Well susan g, you win the prize for accurately reading the question. Yes. Store run. No adequate sub beyond crushing some Tums.

Scan0004

Tums are calcium carbonate, bs is sodium bicarbonate. Could it have the same effect?