I am making apple pies. Do apple pie experts prefer to precook their apples before baking?

I am making apple pies for a charity event at my local farmer's market. Normally, I just put my filling (raw apples plus sugar and spices and a touch of tapioca) into my crusts and bake. But I have seen several recipes (i.e. Midge's Brown Butter and Cheddar Apple Pie) that precook the apples, and I was wondering what chefs here normally do and why. Also any tips on dealing with pie pastry are appreciated. I still a bit intimidated working with pie crust!

asked by cookinginvictoria almost 3 years ago
46011_543839669371_59002344_32042688_2542312_n

i do both and don't have a strong preference either way...precooking allows for a tighter top crust - your filling won't shrink down as much so there's less of a gap between your top crust and filling. for the pastry just keep everything very cold!

Gator_cake

I've not pre-cooked apples when making apple pie. I highly recommend the Cook's Illustrated foolproof pie dough recipe that uses vodka and water. It makes for a wetter dough, which is easier to work with, and you get a beautiful result. If you remove the sage and add 2 T of sugar to the dough recipe Kevin uses in his Cornish Pasties it'll make enough dough for a double crust pie. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Dsc_0122.nef-1

I'm definitely NOT an apple pie expert, but I've never precooked the apples.. I like some apple structure in the finished dish. I make sure that the filling sits out for some time in the spices (kinda like marinading I suppose) before it's doled out onto the pie crust & baked..

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Buddhacat

When making apple pies I slightly pre-cook the apples to get the flavors of the sugar and spices to combine. Don't like mushy pies. HardLikeArmour's pie dough recipe from Cook's Illustrated is a great pie dough. She recommended it in another post and it is the only one I use.

P1291120

For absolute best results, do a bit of both. If you don't precook, you can have a really big air gap from the top crust (which cooks at the level where it initially rested against the uncooked apples - typically it doesn't shrink down as the apples cook down). If you precook some (not to applesauce, just so that it mushes together the way the final pie normally would) and pack the rest in tight light AntoniaJames recommends, you'll have more apple in your pie and less gap (cook down your full recipe quantity of apples; supplement with another 1/2 recipe of fresh prior to baking).

Image

I don't cook my apples either, but I do slice them on the thin side so I can pack a lot in. And use 2 or 3 different varieties of apples. I started that when I tested mrslarkins' truly scrumptious apple pie--it adds a lot of depth of flavor.