🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

How long can you keep homemade mayo?

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 3 years ago
Me

I would use it as soon as possible; at most 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

Gator_cake

Alton Brown's recipe says refrigerate for up to one week. He lets it sit at room temperature after mixing for an hour or two to allow the acid to denature any bacterial proteins.

Chris_in_oslo

Great question! There's such a lot of disparity in answers when you cast about on the web. Some people and organizations say not to make it at all. I've found one Canadian government recommendation of ~a week, and that seems intuitively good to me. Sorry not to have more science in the answer.

Flower-bee

I've read that in general acetic (vinegar) acid is a better preservative than ascorbic (lemon) acid. So if you plan on storing it for longer it might be good to use vinegar in a recipe that calls for lemon juice, with the appropriate adjustment.