🔎

• 3

• 1690

Maximum brining time

I have a question about the recipe "Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme" from Oui, Chef. I started brining the chops last night around 7, and I just found out that we won't be having them tonight. Should I continue brining them (for 48 hours, then) or take them out after 24 (or before), dry them off and store them in the fridge covered in plastic? Thanks.

112309f_684
Jocelyn_2006
Steve_dunn02
Oui, Chef added over 2 years ago

That's a great question. The risk in over-brining has to do with the salt and having the meat get too salty in the end. That said, this is not an overly salty brine, so it may be OK going 48 hrs., but to play it safe you should consider either taking it out of the brine tonight, or maybe even splitting the difference and taking it out of the brine in the morning, and drying and wrapping it then. Of course, the thickness of the chop will have a lot to do with how well it takes extra time in the brine. A real thick chop 1 1/2 - 2" would probably be fine at 48 hrs., a thin one not so much. I'd love to hear what you decide and how it all comes out in the end.

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

I agree with Oui, Chef -- take the chops out of the brine tonight, cover them and then proceed. Overbrining can also result in overly mushy chops.

Jocelyn_2006
jocelyng added over 2 years ago

Thanks to you both. They're about an inch thick, so I think I'll play it safe and take them out tonight.