What stand mixer do you use -- and like/recommend -- for making yeasted bread doughs on a regular basis?

I'm rethinking the "real estate" issues in my tiny kitchen, considering for the first time in my life actually buying a stand mixer . . . would put it in the footman's pantry/alcove adjacent to the kitchen. The counter space is not the only issue, by the way, in my kitchen. There's insufficient clearance under the cabinets (installed, we think, in the mid-50's). And no under extra cabinet space below the counters, either. The alcove option would work well, I think, depending on the footprint of the mixer. Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 3 years ago
Dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

To be perfectly honest, the trusty Kitchen Aid with dough hook attachment is tried and true. But, I imagine, you've tried this? Thoughts?

With_ab

Agree with Francesca. Getting a KitchenAid is worth every inch of space. I also live in a 50s apartment, and I keep mind on the floor of the itty bitty pantry!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Actually, I have not tried any KitchenAid, or any other kind. I'm looking for recommendations for specific models. I understand that some KitchenAids do a better job with bread dough than others. I would use it mostly for bread dough, on a regular basis, so that is my primary criterion. Thanks! ;o)

Me_in_munich_with_fish

KitchenAid stand mixers are the way to go, but scout out an older model on Ebay. The KA models (i.e. K5A) were made by Hobart, and those models are superior to the newer ones (not that the newer ones are horrifically shabby, though). Nowadays, KitchenAid makes many models with plastic (!) gears, and the ones with metal gears still have a plastic housing.

Since you want to use this for kneading dough, I highly recommend an older model. There also happens to be a wealth of knowledge online if your older model happens to break, in which case you can find someone handy to help you, or you can dive right in yourself. But I wouldn't worry about that--our model is 25 years old and has never needed a fix even through I often use it for bread.

I have 2 KitchenAids, the oldes of which is 11 years old and spent 5 years in my bakery-restaurant kitchen (where I also had a 20 qt. Hobart, full disclosure). Nonetheless, it continues to do yeoman service. The Viking has a larger bowl capacity and more powerful motor, but also a significantly larger footprint. I've used one several times and come running back to my KitchenAid every time. I also have a Magic Mill (made in Sweden), which is great for breads, but not much else. Also a large footprint. I'm so glad you're reconsidering your real estate issues.

Me

You have a footman's pantry? How cool is that! Seriously, I have almost no counter space to speak of, and I keep my KitchenAid on the bottom shelf of a small rolling cart that holds the microwave, and pull it out as needed. ps I have a KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 quart tilt head mixer.

My tilt head KitchenAid walked off the counter one too many times with a heavy bread dough when I didn't guard it. The lift-bowl version has never done that. The newer design has a flared bowl -- no more bashing one's knuckles when poking the dough.