🔔
🔎

Amanda's NYT cookbook brownies

I just put a pan of brownies into the oven. I used Amanda's recipe from the NYT cookbook. I'm a little freaked out because of the following:
1. the recipe called for no baking powder!
2. the proportion of liquid to flour (a stick of butter and 2 eggs to 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup of sugar) seemed way too liquid
3. the recipe said to smooth the batter in the pan, but the batter was very liquidy and would never need smoothing!
Any thoughts, advice or comfort? I leave for the potluck in an hour!
Thanks, Abby

asked by abbyarnold about 3 years ago
Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9

Well, you followed the recipe...I say " Trust the source"...and enjoy the potluck.

3-bizcard

If you followed the recipe you should be fine, I agree with gt9. Trust the source. BTW, most brownie recipes do not use a leavening agent like baking powder or baking soda.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Abby, it's Amanda here. I'm looking at the recipe now and I understand your concern. I know it seems like too little flour -- just 1/2 cup -- but that is the correct amount. And this is not a baking powder brownie -- just eggs. It's a great recipe from 1943. I really hope yours turn out well!

Headshot2009

Well, they turned out ok, but honestly they were not chocolaty enough! Next time I'm going to add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and see what that does.

Headshot2009

Or maybe a bunch of chopped chocolate/chocolate chips that are not melted in with the butter.
Thanks for your note, Amanda!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I think this would be a good idea. The recipe you made is pretty much the classic brownie proportions, but I know what you mean about the chocolatey-ness! We've become accustomed to a much more chocolate-laden brownie. So maybe try gt9's suggestion below.

Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9

Here is a brownie recipe you might like.
Classic Brownies
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated

Be sure to test for doneness before removing the brownies from the oven. If underbaked (the toothpick has batter clinging to it) the texture of the brownies will be dense and gummy. If overbaked (the toothpick comes out completely clean), the brownies will be dry and cakey.

1 cup (4 ounces) pecans or walnuts, chopped medium (optional)
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into six 1-inch pieces
2 1/4 cups (15 3/4 ounces) sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13 by 9-inch baking dish, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhand pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and, if using extra-wide foil, fold lengthwise to 12-inch width; fit into width of baking pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
If using nuts, spread nuts evenly on rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Whisk to combine flour, salt, and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
Melt chocolate and butter in large heatproof bowl set over saucepan of almost-simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. (Alternatively, in microwave, heat butter and chocolate in large microwave-safe bowl on high for 45 seconds, then stir and heat for 30 seconds more. Stir again, and, if necessary, repeat in 15-second increments; do not let chocolate burn.) When chocolate mixture is completely smooth, remove bowl from saucepan and gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs on at a time, whisking after each addition until thoroughly combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three additions, folding with rubber spatula until batter is completely smooth and homogeneous.
Transfer batter to prepared pan; using spatula, spread batter into corners of pan and smooth surface. Sprinkle toasted nuts (if using) evenly over batter and bake until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of brownies comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan by lifting foil overhang. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares and serve. (Store leftovers in airtight container at room temperature, for up to 3 days, or, ahem, in the freezer until your resistance gets the better of you.)

Headshot2009

Thanks, gfg! I'll try this recipe next weekend!

Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9

Oh, we just finished a pan of them....yummy, chocolaty...by the way, I do not line the baking dish...I just butter it well. Seems to work okay.
Enjoy.

Junechamp

If you put leavening in the brownie batter, it becomes cake!

Junechamp

Junechamp