🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme

112309f_684

This sounds delicious and I'd like to make it tonight, but didn't plan ahead to marinate overnight. Is it still worth it if I can only marinate for 8 hours? Is there anything I can do to make the marinade more concentrated?

asked by Ms. T about 3 years ago
ADS

I've found that brining and marinating for even a short period of time is helpful-

I agree- a brine like this will add flavor and work on thinner cuts of meat- like a pork chop in as little as 2 hours. The chemical process of sugar and salt in a brine work from the outside in- so the longer you allow the meat to brine- the deeper the flavors are able to permeate what you have in your brine. I have discovered it's possible to over brine something- so sometimes less time is better.

Food54_profile_pic

Thanks! I did it with about 7 hours of brining and it was delicious :)

Chris_in_oslo

Thanks for reporting back, I've been hoping you went ahead. It sounded really good and like a short marinade would be fine. Really, 7 hours isn't so short.