A question about a recipe: Ginger Apple Torte .

111610f_372

I have a question about the recipe "Ginger Apple Torte" from drbabs.
would like to serve this to someone who can't tolerate alchohol. Does the rum "bake off"? And if not, can it be omitted? thank you!

asked by kelleya almost 3 years ago
Buddhacat

There is 3 tablespoons of rum and it will bake off, given the time in the oven. If this does not alleviate your concern, you can always use vanilla or rum extract - non-alcoholic.

I would not serve it if that was an issue. I have made a similar cake and it stinks of Rum, (if a good way) it may be the same cake

Just use Vanilla, , not 3 T, just one, and try to find a solution that does not use alcohol.

Now that I am remembering, it is the cake I made and it is Rum-ful scented. Pick something else.
Email me for a good gingerbread recipe. All mine are stolen so I don't put them here.

Thank you! I think I'll try it sith a substitute.

Image

I wouldn't take a chance about the alcohol baking off. Just add the equivalent amount of milk. I think substituting that much vanilla will throw the flavor off and you need the liquid.

Buddhacat

Thanks, drbabs! I stand corrected and have learned a lot from this question.

Farmer's_market

It's actually not true that ALL alcohol cooks/bakes off in most recipes. Here's a chart from the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory that shows the retained percentages: http://whatscookingamerica... According to that, a cake baked 1 hour would retain about 25%. So, if the person you're serving can't tolerate any alcohol at all (e.g., certain medications react to even trace amounts; or, for some people in recovery, even just the taste/smell of alcohol can be a trigger), I'd sub something else. Given the flavors in the cake, maybe apple cider would work?

Image

I've never tried apple cider, but I think it's an interesting idea--thanks!

thanks to both of you. I will try a little vanailla and make up the balance of the 3 T with cider. Thank you both!

Farmer's_market

kellya, cider with a little vanilla (or almond) extract sounds tasty - but one proviso: but pure extract can have as much as 35% alcohol too. So, you might want to ask him if that's okay. (How much alcohol remains post-baking, in one serving of a cake made with, e.g., one teaspoon of extract, I can't say.)

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

If the person in ? is in recovery, please omit the alcohol.

Not in recovery, but just gets ill. I think I will try the cider. Thanks!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Great point luvcookbooks. I cook for someone in recovery and he prefers no alcohol in his food, he cant always escape it when dining out. amysarah - thank you for making mention that extracts do contain alcohol.

Thanks to all. This was very helpful for this recipe and others. I decided to go with 1 1/2 T milk and 1 1/2 T apple cider. it was delicious!!!! I've never made the rum version, so I can't compare but this met with rave reviews. Thanks agan!