🔔
🔎

If you could be in the kitchen with one professional chef, who would it be?

Just curious! I think I'd either go with Nigella Lawson-because she could make even a cardboard box sound appetizing with her descriptive words....or Jamie Oliver-because I love his technique and how sincere he is with cooking.

asked by skittle about 3 years ago
3-bizcard

I would love to be in the kitchen with Julia Child but since she is not longer with us, I think I am with you skittle would love to cook with Jamie Oliver but I also could learn a lot from Jacque Pepin.

Oh, good on Jacques Pepin, sdb. In the no longer with us category, I'd love to spend time with Richard Olney.

Photo_by_lew

Aye Bendito! Rick Bayless por supuesto!! He's smart, entertaining and makes brilliant mexican food!!

Imag0027

Tom Collichio for his technique and expertise
Carla Hall for her creativity and personality

Buddhacat

Tom Douglas for his talent and sense of humor. Also, boulangere for her ability to teach with fun.

3-bizcard

Oh yes would love to cook with boulangere!

And I look forward to one day (and I'm perfectly serious here, my friends) having my bedrooms full and my backyard full of tents and cooks and the house literally perfuming the neighborhood with all that we cook up because I would LOVE to cook with all of you!

3-bizcard

Would so love that! I would pitch a tent for the opportunity to cook with you!!

Montana is a beautiful place to be in the summer. Yellowstone Park is an easy drive! Think summer vacation, my friends. I'm perfectly serious here. This summer in Montana, next summer in Provence.

Okay, so if I go ahead and designate a week next summer as Food52 in Montana week, when would be the best time(s) for anyone who wants to come? I have lots of beds, and 2 big tents, along with 2 dogs and 4 cats who will be thrilled with all the people to pay attention to them. I'm smelling a plan here. . . . .

And Nigella, Rick, Tom, Thomas, and Jacques are all welcome, too.

3-bizcard

Summer is down time for me, my business wanes from mid June to the end of August. i have lots of free time so I am definitely game for a trip to Montana. Have always to see it and I can't think of a better reason. It would be so much fun. Look forward to meeting Esme and the rest of the crew.

Ok, sdb, come January I'm going to post this as an official Hotline question and see what time falls out in common for the most. I seriously can't wait! I love nothing more than having a house full of people cooking and eating. The son and the girlfriend ("the one", I think), and the daughter will be here for Thanksgiving.

Boulangere- I suspect if you organize it, we will come. I have never been to Montana.

Buddhacat

B, I am a standing request to come to Montana and hang out with you all!

3-bizcard

Now I am seriously looking forward to summer. This has the potential to be a really great time. Wow, just think about food52 converges on Montana for a cookfest. How cool is that!

Got you all on the list! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

Me

I think this would be just wonderful! I would love it! Say that, I must acknowledge that I know we have a few things planned for next summer already. But it's at all possible, I would love to join in!! I've wanted to visit Montana for the longest time now!!

Image

Rick Bayless! So passionate and educated about Mexican food. I love Mexican Food! Second choice would be Lidia Bastianich.

Newliztoqueicon-2

Thomas Keller, but I would be petrified.

What a fun and baffling question! I would say Michael White or Jaques Pepin. I'll change my mind shortly. Right, Jose Andres as well. Crap, what about John Besh?

Farmer's_market

I'd be with Patricia Wells, cooking at her gorgeous place in Provence...and then Jacques Pepin and Paula Wolfert would drop by to lend a hand and regale us with fascinating stories about their lives in food. It would be a good day.

No question ; it would have to be Keller.

Bobby Flay

Scan0004

Crescent Dragonwagon, creative and down to earth, a woman who has known sorrow and joy, who cooks with enthusiasm, knowledge and good taste.

Cimg0737

I'm with pierino and lizthechef -- Thomas Keller would be who I would pick. Second on my list would be Suzanne Goin or Judy Rodgers. Hmm, just realized that they are all California chefs!

Judy Rodgers has only one book out there but it is one that real cooks turn to all the time. She has done some brilliant things (as has Suzanne Goin).

Gator_cake

Mine's not exactly a chef, but instead a baker and cake decorator. Mike McCarey of Mike's Amazing Cakes. If you ever want to be blown away by cake design check out his site.

Dsc00426

rose levy beranbaum or ferran adriĆ .

Thanks to my friends at the now defunct Cooks Library I actually got to meet Ferran. I used to say that chefs don't create. It's all been done before in on way or another---and then along came Adria.

Lorigoldsby

B-- count me in for Montana in the summer--I've always wanted to learn baking from a pro like you!

I've got you on the list, lori!

David Chang, hands down.

Cakes

Jamie Oliver. I love his energy.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Nancy Silverton. I am in love with her books and her former restaurant and bakery Campanile and La Brea.

Campanile is still there, run by Nancy's ex, Mark Peel. But Nancy Silverton "Undisputed Queen of Dough" is also a partner with Mario Batali at Mozza. Best pizza in the USA. And they have a new book out...

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

pierino, I went out and got the book the day after release-- haven't looked through it too much yet...
want to go to mozza next time we're in la

I would love to be in the kitchen with any of the great New Orleans chefs: Danny Trace, Tory McPhail, John Besh, Susan Spicer, Donald Link....

08270410avatar_messbrasil

OOH-HOO! Road trip all the way from South America to Montana! If I leave now,I might get there before january,Boulangere! There may be trouble on borders cause I never needed a passport before,never left the country,but there's no time for "little details" like that,hahaha!Can Jaime Oliver come with?I'm seeing him this week,could see what I can do to convince him.

Pick him up and bring him along!

Dorie Greenspan and David Lebovitz in Paris baking sweets.

Dorie Greenspan is on the top of my list. Had lunch with David Lebovitz and Patricia Wells when I lived in Paris - but missed meeting Dorie!! David's funnier on paper. I'd have to add Clotilde Dusoulier too.

David's hair is never the same color twice in person!

With_ab

Rick bayless, Hubert Keller or Elizabeth priuett. Picking one depends on my mood!

Me

So many amazing chefs out there, so hard to pick! But Judy Rogers would have to be my first choice as she embodies the style I most enjoy. For dessert though, I'm going to have to with David Lebovitz.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Michael Symon... For a hard core meat & potatoes chef , he's inspired quite a lot of vegetarian dishes on my blog!.. T'would be a classic case of Greek meets Geek!

Dsc00859_2

I dunno, I hear some of these chefs can get pretty testy. My knife skills (or lack thereof) would be my undoing...

I did have a bunch of dreams when I first moved here, of cooking w/ the "great chefs". Alice Waters was one. Couldn't predict when the dream would next appear; it was on ongoing series.

Me

what a fun question this turned out to be!

Photo_on_12-21-12_at_4.34_pm__3

Thomas Keller. He demands excellence and focus without screaming at anyone. And ph yeah, he's a genius.

NATHAN MYHRVOLD, the authors of the Modernist Cookbook. He not 'on stage' in a resturant, but has his lab and reserach. So, you wouldn't be yelled at while they're trying to get dinner service out.

08270410avatar_messbrasil

I forgot!!! I have to say Heston Blumenthal...It must be sooo much fun to do those crazy things,and he seems so nice to be around!And also Claude Troigros,a french cheff living in Brazil,you probably never heard of,but he is one of my favorites.

Candy_corn_ii

After either of our hosts say, "No Way !" I'd be happy to learn from Sara Moulton, Jacques Pepin, Suzanne Goin, Molly Stevens, Mark Bittman, Marion Cunningham or Bruce Aidells... whoever might - in a moment of weakness - be willing.

I think Alton Brown would blow my mind