🔎

Entree for 12 - gluten free and vegetarian - can make ahead?

The recipe search and the cook search is taking forever so I am throwing myself on the mercy of foodpicklers! Entertaining , and want something tried, true and delicious that fits the category of gluten free, vegetarian, can be made ahead. It is cold and rainy here so something that warms!

Buddhacat
With_ab
JessicaBakes added over 2 years ago

Go for your favorite lasagna recipe, but use cut polenta rounds in place of the noodles. This is a favorite of mine

Beaune_02_april_08_063
enbe added over 2 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. Especially if your favorite recipe is this: http://www.foodandwine.... You could even try it with GF lasagna noodles although I'd test it first. This is what I make for a crowd and it's always a hit with a huge wintery salad.

Meg_b_f52
meganvt01 added over 2 years ago

How about Veggie Shepherd's Pie? You could use cornstarch to thicken rather than AP flour? http://www.epicurious.com...

ellenl added over 2 years ago

Add your answer here

ellenl added over 2 years ago

I'm going to try Mark Bittman's vegetable torte (can google it) for the vegetarian at Tgiving. Gourmet has a recipe for a stuffed baked/roasted pumpkin that is the most gorgeous burnished thing----has one for veg stuffed pumpkin and a cheese "fondue" one. I made the cheese one last January as a last hurrah for the Holidays. It was gorgeous and amazingly rich. May try the vegetable one soon.

ellenl added over 2 years ago

ellenl added over 2 years ago

I just googled stuffed pumpkin ---lots of different ideas through "foodblogsearch" and google. If you make one, be sure to rub the outside of the pumpkin with olive oil before putting it in the oven to be certain that it is so beautiful. (With the very first I made the recipe didn't call for it and I didn't think of it--came out OK-looking, as opposed to breathtakingly gorgeous).

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

See my response to the Question about "Dinner for 50". http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I don't know if it's 'tried and true'. Because so far only myself and a friend made it and I'm not sure about the made head element there. It was used as a base for a veggie tagine for my friends gig.
But I've pre-prep it at home (the couscous base) and it held up well over overnight.
I'd suggest trying a test run with a small batch and cooking and storing overnight and check texture the next day for the couscous base.
(it's a work in progress for me...I hope to quantify better later).

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Image

This is one of my favorite FOOD52 recipes. You can make the lentils and rice separately ahead of time and reheat them, and it's easy to multiply. (As a bonus, the leftovers are wonderful.) http://food52.com/recipes...

Dsc00731
saragrad added over 2 years ago

I like Nigella Lawson's vegetarian chili (from her book 'Feast' and you can probably get the recipe from the Food Network website). It makes a huge amount (good for a party), tastes better the next day (definitely should be made ahead of time), and is certainly very warming!

Dsc00731
saragrad added over 2 years ago