🔎

We use agar agar for vegetarians and gelatin for non veg is that correct?Is gelatin veg or non-veg?

52
Bmp_9375
Sunchowder added over 3 years ago

Non-veg I believe. I think it is made from the hoofs of cows and pigs unless they have changed the process!

Portrait
BethFalk added over 3 years ago

Yep, gelatin is an animal product. Not just from hooves, but from pig and cow skin and bones. It's a form of collagen. Somewhat unpleasant, when you think about it.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

Gelatin is semi natural product that uses the hoofs of horse and pigs. There are now gelatins that use plant byproducts so you may be able to find those. I would advise not to use any gelatin that does not specifically say, Vegetarian friendly, as it probably uses animal byproducts in it.

innoabrd added over 3 years ago

And, keep in mind that most gelatin is not halaal, so if you are serving to muslims, you should avoid as well unless the gelatin is marked halaal. There is such a thing, we even got halaal gummy bears in Egypt!