🔎

A question about a recipe: Sausage and Kale Dinner Tart

What does it mean to "dock the dough with a fork"? (step 10) I'm a newbie at pastries--I usually stick to rustic freeform tarts so I don't have to worry about such things ;) Excited to make this recipe for an upcoming Food52 party!

052411f_480
Food54_profile_pic
Flower-bee
Droplet added over 2 years ago

Just means to randomly poke the dough with the tines of a fork. It's done in order to keep the dough flat and prevent large blisters from forming.

MaryMaryCulinary added over 2 years ago

Stab it with a fork! As Droplet said, it keeps it from rising and bubbling. Enjoy the tart!

Food54_profile_pic
Ms. T added over 2 years ago

Ohhh...got it! I'd never heard the "dock" part before. Thanks for clearing that up!

When you "dock" dough with a fork or a docking tool (picture a roller about 3" wide and studded with spikes, attached to a handle), you're creating vents through which steam created by heating the water and the butter in your dough can escape. If the dough isn't docked, steam builds up within and underneath it causing large blisters that can actually break open, leaving a rift in the dough, and even a potential hole if you attempt to press it down after it has hardened.